Gunboat mania

Coron Travel Blog

After the diving yesterday I drop the plan of going to 3 new wrecks and just go snorkelling instead and then a single dive in the afternoon.

We managed to pack 8 people on the boat which makes it affordable - but boat rentals at Coron is somewhat more expensive than the prices I have encountered other places. The concept of the snorkelling tour is similar to the diving. We start of sailing through the small islands surrounding Coron - once again there is some great spot to look at as we go along.

We get out to the gunboat where we will spend most of the day - and this is more my style. The gunboat is at shallow waters - actually the top of the boat is above the surface at low tide.

And on the wreck are lots of corals and fish just under the surface. You can just snorkel up and down the wreck looking at the sights forever. Which seems to be what I am doing but after an unknown period of time I wander of like everybody else to have a look at the corals around the place and not just the once at the wreck. And yep they are nice as well.

A few of the snorklers try to make it to the beach - but it is really shallow waters and they get more or less stranded on some corals on their way and have to give up on that part.

Lunch is prepared on the boat - and yep it does consist of fish and rice - like so many meals in this part of the country. It is a big fish and after we have eaten most of it the bones are thrown overboard so the living fish can enjoy the leftovers.

And they do. They clean the bones right of and there is not a trace of meat left - somebody picks it up and puts it in the face of an unexpecting victim - to a great effect.

After lunch we meet up with the dive boat and two of us transfer to it to have a dive on the dive boat - and this dive is clearly more what I like about wreck diving. The wreck is pretty open so even when we are going inside it it is still possible to see fish and corals. And this wreck got lots of fish and corals also a bit under the surface. The visibility in the wreck is still hopeless though.

On the return trip I start the mission of the day. Find a dive buddy to go to Apo Reef. Well I am on a boat with fellow divers - it seems like the perfect place to start the search.

And I do just that. Bothering the other passengers to go with me - one is saying no - he got some stupid excuse about having to go to Manila the next day and then catch a plane to Singapore the day after that. Come on what kind of excuse is this - he can just change his ticket back to Denmark. Well next prospect the German photo freak - I got more luck with him and I got a dive buddy to go with I think. Then we team up working on the American as well - the more the merrier or at least it will be cheaper. He tells me no.

Ok we get back to Sea Dive and we need to make a plan. Currently we are at Busunga Island and we have to get to Mindoro. The only minor problem with this plan is - we don't know where the boats leaves from, we don't know when the boat leaves - actually we have no clue if there will be a boat in the foreseeable future. We try to ask people working at the dive shop - they got no clue. As a last option I go to Ricardo - the goto man if you need some sort of transport going anywhere from Coron. And he tells me he may have got a transport leaving at an unknown time in the future - maybe tomorrow maybe the day after tomorrow or maybe at another time. This is fine we got a plan. Of course this kind of deluxe services is not for free Ricardo will charge us 3 times the normal rate for our ferry tickets.

shirlan says:
Great photos!
Posted on: Jul 30, 2008
B-Town says:
You captured some great underwater photography as well Micky. I say, great job.
Posted on: Jul 30, 2008