Finally the buses run like they are supposed to

Kabayan Travel Blog

Lots of room between the bus and the truck

I try to get to  the bus station fairly early this morning because there is only buses leaving to Kabayan in the morning - then again I got no clue when the buses is actually leaving so I try to get there around 8 hoping there will be a bus at 6 or 9. Unfortunately the bus is not leaving until 10 - hence I have to hang around the bus station for two long hours not having anything to do.

I wait and wait until 9.30 when people start leaving the bus. It appears the bus got some sort of problem with the engine or something else which must be pretty essential for the bus given they actually give up on the bus and try to call in a replacement for the scheduled bus.

Next truck coming up

At ten the bus is not about to leave. Finally - I knew it the buses in this country never leave at time. The timetable is only used as an indication of when the buses may or may not leave. But the buses will not be following the timetable. The six previous times I had been on a bus which always left at the exact minute the timetable said they would be leaving was all just part of a deliberate deception to make me believe that the buses actually went according to the timetable. This is how it usually is - delays.

Well the other bus arrive and all the people at the bus station rush to the bus and try to get into the bus fighting for a decent seat - and I am not accustomed to this sort of fighting so with people throwing backs in through the windows fighting to get into the bus while it is still moving towards the spot where it is going to park. Hence I get relegated to the backseat without much of a view - bummer.

Not looking too promissing,

We start moving and the bus is full - but after a little bit I get a seat where I can actually look out of the window. The trip is quite interesting - we are driving along very narrow roads in the mountains and I get the first look at the traditional rice terraces of this region - this is the real beginning of the rice part of my blog.

All the time we are driving on a road which at best is one way - but the traffic going the other way don’t realize this is a one way road and we got the right of way. Most of the time but at one time we meet a group of trucks going the other way - and there is no way we can pass each other on the narrow road - but we have to somehow. The driver drive back and forth to get the buss really close to the side of the road - and it appears to be right next to a very step drop next to us. Then the first of the trucks tries to pass us.

It is driving by half way up on the mountain side with two wheels ½ meter up the hills side which make the truck lean slightly towards the bus. It seems to go ok - there are maybe 3-4 centimetres to spare. But then no - all hands and anything else inside the bus - the truck hammers into the side of the bus when it can not get by. Super we are stock and now there is no way we can get anywhere with the bus - and the truck can not back either. The truck needs to continue and it does banging into the bus a couple of more times while all the passengers keep everything inside the bus so it will not get stocked between the bus and the truck. Finally the truck manages to get by us.

Then the next truck needs to pass - and guess what - it is wider than the first one which could not pass. Great. This will be a problem. We start backing again - the driver will try to get us closer to the edge - super there is probably at least 1-2 inches before we will tumble to our death down the hill - I hope my insurance cover the rescue from down a steep mountain side.

But by some miracle we don’t fall down the mountain side and by another miracle there is enough room for the big truck to pass us - and it does without banging into us once - it almost feels like a disappointment after the first truck.

There is another couple of truck needing to pass - but these are really small and they got no problem getting past.

The rest of the trip is somewhat uneventful after this but the landscape is stunning with one rice terrace being replaced by a more attractive rice terrace. Then we arrive in Kabayn. I got no clue where we are - but the conductor tells me and the other foreigners in the bus to get out of there even though we are not at the final bus stop in Kabayan. We say ok and get out hopping to find some sort of transport to take us to the one hotel in town. Unfortunately there is no tricycle or anything like it in sight.

Not what you expect in a town this size.
This may be a long day hiking to find the hotel. We look around and finally realize where the hotel is - right on the other side of the street. So 15 second walk from the bus stop and we are at the hotel trying to get a bed. And this is low season meaning we are the only guest for the moment.

After getting into the hotel it is time to explore the town - not that there is really a lot to see. But there are a few houses and you tend to walk close to the rice terraces. And at the edge of town there is a small museum - I go in and have a look at it. It is not really a world class museum but they do have a bit of artic fact from the region and one mummy which this area is so famous for.

After the museum it is time to get something to eat. Not that I am really hungry already - but this is a small town. Really small. And all the restaurants will close at just after 6 unless they got costumers at this time - hence you need to go out for diner very early.

The town of Kabayan
The diner is actually really good for a turo turo place. But it got some great vegetables plus some strange red rice which this area is so famous for. It does taste a bit different from the rice you get in the other parts of the Philippines. I am not sure I really prefer this one to the ordinary rice but it is a change - and after having halfway overdoses rice any change in the diet is appreciated.

YantiSoeparno says:
Wuahaha, most of Indonesian people think that way too :D
Even they have had noodles, bread, or other carbohydrate, if they haven't had rice, they consider themselves haven't got a meal!
tj1777 says:
you should hear how the locals talk about rice. They dont get it if you dont have rice - atleast twice a day and they think breakfast without rice is not really breakfast.
metroguy says:
Whow !!! dude your to much... 3x/day of rice ,your are really out of control out there or you really trying to kill your self....Maybe the rice really get into your brain???
Posted on: Sep 06, 2008
Lots of room between the bus and t…
Lots of room between the bus and …
Lots of room between the bus and t…
Lots of room between the bus and …
Not looking too promissing,
Not what you expect in a town this…
Not what you expect in a town thi…
Landscape at Kabayan
Landscape at Kabayan
Looking out around Kabayan.
Looking out around Kabayan.
Kabayan Hotels & Accommodations review
Coop Lodge
If you are going to Kabayan you pretty much got two choices when it comes to accommodation. Either you can stay with a private family or you will have… read entire review
Kabayan General Tips & Advice review
Getting from Kabayan to Sagada
If you look at a map of this area it looks like it is gonna be a piece of cake to go from Kabayan to Sagada. But in reality it is a lot more difficult… read entire review
Kabayan