World Drums Festival 2008

Kuala Lumpur Travel Blog

While I was walking down towards Sungei Wang, I was distracted by the loud and lively sounds of drums and percussions. I gazed ahead and I saw a crowd gathered at the square infront of  the Pavilion Mall where I was going. While on the way to join the crowd, a flyer was handed to me and I saw that there was a show from the participants of the World Drums Festival 2008 held in Kuala Lumpur. The festival starts on July 26 and ends with the grand show on August 2 at the Dataran Merdeka.

I was just on time for the performance from Indonesia. Amazing! Pulsating beat of drums, percussions,flute,and gamelan with the  touch of Balinese/Javanese exotic beat. Their performance rocked the crowd specially when the Balinese dancers started to move. Go Indonesia! I hope they win. They were my favorite and my bet not only because they are southeast Asians but because I love Javanese  music. I bought CDs of Javanese music in Jogjakarta during my recent visit. The performance of Venezuela was okay with the typical mardi gras tempo; while the performance from China and Korea reminded me of those classical Chinese and Korean movies with those cinematic drum beats. I didn't watch the performance from Thailand because I was already very hungry and the drum beats in my stomach began to compete with the festival drum beats.

ted332 says:
I was actually looking for Japan but they weren't in the festival. I love to watch drum performances too. :)
Posted on: Jul 29, 2008
reikunboy says:
Ted I love the sound of the beating drum so rythmic
My son learns how to play the japanese drum and twice a year he holds a concert. It's awesome
Posted on: Jul 29, 2008