Friends and the Southbank

Brisbane Travel Blog

Brisbane from Southbank
I jumped a couple of trains into Brisbane.  One on the Thursday and one on the Monday.  Each to different suburbs in the city to see dear friends.

Anne I hadn't seen for 18 or 19 years and even then she was just passing through my home town as an exchange guest staying with a girlfriend of mine.  It's funny but she and I have kept in touch throughout the years, not too regularly, but every now and then I would get a call from her or she'd answer a letter or e-mail of mine.  I guess our communication had dropped away since she had married and started her family but I knew I'd never forgive myself if I came to her city and didn't catch up with her again.

We had a great afternoon talking about the passage of time and what life had brought to us.
Nepalese temple
  I was pleased to head back to the train knowing that she was well set up.  I didn't get to meet her husband but from what I learned during my visit I know he's a solid bloke.  I wouldn't be surprised if I don't see Anne again for another 18 years but that's just cool, right?

The other friend I had to see was Agnes.  She is my oldest and dearest friend.  Born 6 months before me, we grew up together in a quiet cul-de-sac in the town of Tokoroa.  Back when we had great potential so did our town.  She and I realised ours but too many of our generation cut a track and Tok is now a shadow of it's former self.  I guess it's the fate of mill towns that rely so heavily on single industry.  Modernisation costs jobs -they call it progress.
big wheel. Almost ready to roll.

Anyway, it was really great to catch up with Agnes.  I hadn't seen her for a couple of years, since she came and stayed with me back in 2005 I think.  The worst thing was that I hadn't met her husband Dave at all and they had a teenage daughter so I don't know how that happened.

I stayed the night with them and was sorry I couldn't stay longer.  It was great seeing Agnes and meeting Dave, and of course meeting their daughter Beth again.  We caught up with our goss about work and plans for work and travel.  We enjoyed good food and wine, good port and company.  We watched a good movie and then hit the sack for a good night's sleep.  It was ALL GOOD!

Next day Beth went off to school and Agnes, Dave and I went into Southbank for a wander around and some lunch before I had to catch a train back out to Surfers.

It's been 31 years since I was last in Brisbane.  I didn't recognise anything about the place from that visit but I know that I'll return well before 31 years goes by again.

Southbank was bustling.  A new ferris wheel was being built and the thorny archway was starting to show some colour as the blooms realised the proximity of spring.  It was a beautiful day and the place was filled with school children doing a charity walk.  We completed our own circuit of two of the bridges crossing the river and then found a lovely cafe for brunch.
Nepalese temple
big wheel.  Almost ready to roll.
big wheel. Almost ready to roll.
Crossing the bridge above the Mari…
Crossing the bridge above the Mar…
Back to Southbank via another brid…
Back to Southbank via another bri…
Southbank upgrade