Denpasar

Denpasar Travel Blog

the hotel

Arrived in Denpasar and our hotel is somewhere between the airport and Kuta.  It's surprisingly quiet, despite the location.   Four days here and two in a much nicer resort in Candidasa.  On the second day, I rented a jeep and drove up into the interior to see the rice terraces.  Unfortunately, we kept seeming to lose the main roads and we got hopelessly lost on some of the roughest roads I've ever seen.  In fact driving here is some of the worst I've ever encountered, and that is even after living in Bangkok two years!  Eventually, we reach the Jatiluwih area.  After taking some photos of the countryside we start heading farther north to see Pura Ulun temple on Danau Bratan lake, but on way, I took a turn too sharply and ended up with one tire hanging off a 4 foot deep drainage trench.   We are firmly stuck until I pay some passing lorry driver to pull us out.  Eventually, we got to the lake just as the sun started going down.

Tomorrow we have a day trip to Java and back, to see Borobudur, Jogyakarta, and Prambanan.

kuta beach