The 2nd day and return journey

Prague Travel Blog

Breakfast

I rose from my slumber and headed upstairs to the breakfast room a selection of meat and cheese was available on different plates and guests could take one plate and two rolls. Perhaps being still a little drunk I mistook the donuts on the bar for bread rolls and set to consuming my breakfast having not eaten for 24 hours. Breakfast went down well and it was not until half way through that I realized my mistake seeing bread rolls next to the cutlery. However nobody said anything and I was thankful for the extra sugar given that I intended to walk up to the top of the castle crossing over the Vltava river via the Magnificent Charles Bridge once I had finished.

Charles Bridge is scattered with wondrous religious statues and is perhaps the most scenic bridge I have ever come across.

Beer in sunshine
Many artists both serious and caricaturists with souvenirs stands are situated on both sides of the bridge and there is a steady flow of tourist traffic through the middle. Once the bridge had been crossed I started the ascent to the top the roads were steep and it was with much relief that at the top I came across a café selling ice cold beer offering a magnificent view over Prague and the river.

I was lucky enough to reach the top of the hill just in time to witness the changing of the guard having already witnessed this in London and Nice it has become less interesting but it still attracts a crowd of people and once it had finished I entered the castle courtyard. Again I was struck with awe at some of the fine pieces of art that surround the buildings with pictures of God, Jesus and the Virgin Mary adorning the walls.

Changing the guard
All of the buildings inside the courtyard cost to enter and so like the majority of people I only peeked my head around the door and did not enter officially. There were a few fountains and many of the tourists were throwing small change into these… traveling on a budget I decided to keep my money for myself.

Leaving the castle courtyard and beginning the descent my eyes were transfixed by the sight of the hot air ballon floating near charles bridge a view that was quite magical. Thankfully a lady offered to take a picture of me with my camera so that I could keep the memory in a physical form. I went to O’reily’s Irish bar to watchSouth Africa vs Wales in the Rugby although at 70 CZK a pint I only watched the first half there and watched the second half in a sports bar close by.

Wenceslas Square
The sports bar had a virtual roulette table and many customers seemed to be making use of it. Unfortunately Wales were well beaten at the rugby and so slightly disconsolate I decided to head back to the travelers hostel.

I arrived back at the hostel close to 5pm and after chatting briefly with the girls from Cambridge I lay down on my bed and continued my reading. At 7pm I went upstairs to the bar but finding it empty I headed into town to watch the football. There was a big screen on Wenceslas square and I bought a hot dog and a diet coke from a stand near there. The crowd and Hyundai sponsored entertainers gave the place a certain atmosphere but I for some reason was not up for a big night out and headed to a bar to watch the Portugal game after the Czech game had finished I watched half of it in the sports bar and half of it in a nice but not very touristy bar on the side streets.

Watching the Football
After watching the game I grabbed a hot dog and managed after a while to find my way back to the hostel and turned in and the embarrassingly early time of 11:30pm.

With my sleep interrupted at 4am by the unnamed girl from Cambridge asking to use my phone as a torch I eventually rose at 8am. In the breakfast room I noticed there were no donuts possibly a result of my mistake the day before. Still cheese and ham with jam and butter on the bread rolls was sufficient to fill the hole in my stomach considering I had eaten two hot dogs the night before. I showered back in the dorm grabbed my stuff and signed out of the hostel. I had before heading to charles bridge the day before worked out how to get to the metro station and so paying for a ticket 26czk I boarded a train at Slevin. I got to the station at about 11am boarded a bus the train ticket was sufficient for the journey and I got to Prague airport about 12.30pm
Quiet but cool and cheap Czech bar