Taking a stroll in Barranco

Lima Travel Blog

I went to Barranco to meet MJ (Astralphoenix) there. Since she wasn´t in her hostel yet I took the time by the forelock (can I say that??? :-) ) and went for a little walk around Barranco. First I walked down to the beach to breathe in some sea air but to my disappointment it smelled rather of car emissions because a busy road runs right next to the beach. I wonder which genious came up with such a stupid idea to disfigure the coast like that. Anyways, I just tried to fade out the traffic and instead watched some rubbish being washed ashore. Hmmm, still not good, so I watched the surfers instead and then got bored and walked back up the walkway to Barranco called Bajada de los Baños (translation please! :-) ).  Crossing over this walkway is the Puente de los Suspiros (Bridge of Sighs).

a surfer
The walkway is bordered on both sides by grand houses and the legend goes that a daughter of one of these grand houses fell in love with a lowly street sweeper. Her father forbid the union, and she lived out her days as a spinster, waiting at her window for glimpse of her beloved. Those who walked across the bridge could hear her plaintive sighs. And indeed, if you walk across it, you can  hear the decayed wooden shelves creaking underneath your feet.

Haggard dogs roam the streets, street vendors are trying to sell the latest kitsch and children who have just finished school are frolicking around in the warm afternoon hour.

After this interesting walk I went back to Barranco´s main square on which stand Barranco´s church and Biblioteca (library).

I was just about to sit down for a rest when MJ called me and said she could meet me now.

the brown cliffs of Lima :-)
Great! Five minutes later she came to the main square and as I was hungry we went to a really nice place which is kind of hidden in narrow alleys and feels very local. MJ had eaten here before and liked it a lot so she took me here and I immediately liked it as well. We ordered arroz con mariscos (rice with seafood) and a jarra (jug) of chicha morrada, a typical and delicious Peruvian juice made from purple corn. We enjoyed the food and drink and chatted for about an hour or so. We couldn´t meet for very long because MJ had to catch her bus to Arequipa and I had to go back to Miraflores but we will surely meet again in Arequipa.

I really enjoyed my day in Barranco. It´s a good place for taking a stroll, having good food and meeting a friendly travbuddy :-)

JeAr says:
where's the pic of your travbuddy?
Posted on: Nov 21, 2008
the brown cliffs of Lima :-)
I love Barranco... and you?
I love Barranco... and you?
the brown cliffs of Lima
the brown cliffs of Lima
I like this house :-)
I like this house :-)
the walkway down to the beach
the walkway down to the beach
it´s as if the crow´s weight is …
it´s as if the crow´s weight is…
wanna come up? :-)