Post Seattle Thoughts

Seattle Travel Blog

My first impression upon landing in Seattle, aside from flying over what appeared to be downtown and still staying in the air for what seemed like an hour and wondering how freaking far is the airport from the city, was that it smells amazing. It smelled like a giant pine tree air freshener, except if a pine tree air freshener smelled good. The air is something I notice whenever I visit a new city, and perhaps it's because I live in a city with horrible air pollution, however, I don't think I've ever been anywhere that I've thought smelled good. Although I only think that LA and NYC actually stink, in a bad way, to the point that when I have returned from those places I take a shower as soon as I get in the house, and wash my clothes in bleach. Seattle has clean, wonderful, high altitude air that I want my laundry to smell like.

I was kind of disillusioned with the city, though, the first night there. I envisioned it as being like Boston, which is very walkable with good mass transit. I didn't find that, which disappointed me. We stayed near the Seattle Center, and that night alone at least 15 people asked me for money on the streets. I would love to sit here and say I want to help the homeless, that I am the type of person who will bring a cup of soup to a man wrapped in a blanket on the front steps of a church, or who will give a dollar to anyone who asks. But, I'm not. It's not that I have a problem with helping someone, I just have a problem with trusting people. My other problem with it is that... I know that I have the luxury of being able to travel, and that I can afford air conditioning, cable and Starbucks, however I am technically POOR. It bothers me that just by going around crowded areas asking people for money, some people are able to make more money per hour than I do. If you were wondering, yes, I'm an insensitive asshole.

Well yeah! None of that was really about Seattle so much, at least not before the little tangent there. It did rain every day we were in Seattle, which is so cliche. But it was also sunny out every day we were there, too. That kind of makes no sense. I thought that I would fall in love with Seattle, and I did. It is a beautiful, amazing, great smelling, rainy city. However, it wasn't in the way that I thought. I can't wait to go back there, to see more things, explore more areas of the city, to conquer the public transportation system, and of course, to visit Jimi. But I didn't find myself with a desire to stay there forever or even daydreaming about looking for a job there and moving there for good. The fact is, Seattle felt really far away from home. At the airport, when we found ourselves very nearly stranded due to the very beginnings of that whole Northwest cancellation ordeal, and Northwest started taking all the open seats forty minutes prior to departure, I felt like I was a million miles away from home, without a clue of how to get back. I did not have that feeling when I was stuck in LaGuardia for 12 hours, in Boston for three days, or even in Vegas the three times I got stuck there for various reasons.

I still feel as though there is something in Seattle that I need to find. But right now the only thing I've found is that I love Boston.