San Jose

San Jose Travel Blog

I thought Amanda was exaggerating when she would tell me of the horrors of the city, and would lightly chuckle at her stories. Now, I have viscerally felt what I once heard.

San Jose is a caricature of itself. Equal parts dirty, dangerous, and distracting. San Jose, clearly, was not a city calmly crafted by an urban designer. Or if it was, it was thrown together at 4 a.m., when the planner remembered the assignment. While drunk.
San Pedro was slightly nicer, though it shared the sidewalks of death. It has some cute houses, though many of them shared a fondness for barbed wire.

The dancing in San Jose was a disappointment. First of all, very few guys wanted to dance with me, probably because I was white and they assumed I knew nothing of Salsa and Bachata.
Cute fruit vendors
Once I danced with people, I found their skills were...well, absent. Jenn confirmed that this was the case everywhere she has danced in the country! Dios mio, maybe I won't run off to live in CR after all!

The mannerisms of the city were very different. First I was flattered by the passing motorists honking at us. Soon, the cute acknowledgment felt more like non-stop harassment. More disturbingly, everyone was up early! Every time we would leave the house at an ungodly hour to leave for a new destination, we would see many people starting their day at 4 and 5 a.m. If I hadn't been put off by the city until now, that alone would've done it. I would rather live in a world where no one wakes up that early!
San Jose