Trip II: Weekend Getaway to Las Vegas & Grand Canyon

Las Vegas Travel Blog

This is my second visit to Las Vegas. My daughter and I, decided to go on a weekend getaway and visit with Martin, and Melania's family. I called ahead to let them know we needed to get away; Melania was excited and made arrangements to pick us up at McCarran International Airport. Once again, I booked our flight on Southwest Airlines. The airline had a great weekend price on Travel zoo for $99 return a person, I could not pass this offer, it was much too exciting. We flew in at 10:30 am, baggage claim was a breeze and Melania was right on time. We planned a 3 night’s stay, giving us plenty of time to visit and get involved in a few activities as well.

The next day, we went to the strip to see what was going on; busy as ever, we shielded ourselves from the sun by visiting the hotels; Caesar's Palace shopping arcade, as well as the Bellagio. While we were at Caesar's palace, someone handed us a flyer with a fly-in or bus tour of the Grand Canyon. My heart almost skipped a beat when I saw the price on the flyer. I signed up immediately for fear of losing the flyer and the price there upon it. For $89 return from Las Vegas, we could travel by bus to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and return to Vegas by night. I was like a child in a candy store; this would be the first time I was going to the Grand Canyon. It was one of the destinations I dreamed of as a child, it is one of the original natural wonders of the world and I desperately wanted to go there.

The bus pick up was at the Imperial Palace hotel; Desire and I, woke up at 5:30 am, and by 6:00 am, Melania had dropped us off at the bus pick-up location. The bus was on time, a few people had already boarded. We presented our tickets and were let on the bus. I took a window seat; I did not want to miss a thing. One of our stops was going to be Hoover Dam, also a first for me. My excitement could not be contained. The bus was filled with Chinese and Japanese tourists; they had some of the most advanced cameras and video equipment I had ever seen. I had my pink Sony camera that I was very proud of. It was new on the market as well, so I got it all ready to take photos as we went along.

Our bus trip included lunch and a snack at the Imax theatre. We did make a stop at Hoover dam before proceeding to the Grand Canyon. at the Imax theatre, we watched a movie about the Grand Canyon before heading inside the park to see the real thing. There was nothing that could describe what we saw, when we got to our first look out. I do not speak nor understand Chinese or Japanese, but what I heard from the group we came with when they saw the canyon, was nothing short of someone's breath being taken away!! The rest I included in my review of the Grand canyon. We returned to Las Vegas at exactly 5:30 pm as promised. It was the best $89 I ever spent.

With one night left, we stayed at home and make traditional African food and enjoyed talking about our lives and how things are quickly changing.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Las Vegas