Trip 4: Christmas 2007 and New Year 2008 in Henderson

Henderson Travel Blog

My plans were to spend Christmas 2007 and New Years in Las Vegas with my dear family friends (Melania, Martin and their two children). The plan had been put in place in June (something I normally do not do, is plan ahead this far). As the months drew closer to December, everything seemed to work out just fine, the flights were booked, the presents bought and gift wrapped, the tree at our house decorated. Then as only misery can, seeking company indeed it knocked at my door: my work schedule changed and I was put on a ten hour shift through the 27th of December, what do you know? So I had to think and think fast. It is the end of the school and Desire will be out in three days, I have no baby sitter and do not want to pay for one anyway.

I decided to call Southwest Airlines and put Desire on the flight to Las Vegas on the 20th of December as an unaccompanied minor. It did not cost a thing, they were very happy to accommodate her and an airhostess was assigned to her and three other children traveling alone. I then rescheduled my flight to leave after Christmas (27th to be exact), so that I can catch up on left over x-mas and usher in the New Year.

So now I was celebrating Christmas two days later, which was not bad considering I was able to take the New Year’s off work. The excitement more than anything was joining my daughter, friends and seeing all the fireworks in play over the New Years. My friend Melanie, picked me up at the airport on the twenty- seventh at noon, we headed to their recently bought new home in Henderson.

I must say Henderson is very clean and beautiful, speaks of a higher class of people with so much green one would have a hard time believing they are in the desert. On the highway, so much gray from all the construction taking place, the bypasses spiraling three stories down, unbelievable. From the 215 E exits, the strip is visible, however being the daytime; one can hardly see what Las Vegas is popular for. The high rise hotels and casinos grace the skyline.

We arrived home t the smell of home cooked lunch and baking, uuhm. My friend Melanie is a cook like you would not believe, she is the mother figure in a home that you certainly want to visit. The Christmas tree glistening with lights and decorations, the children excited especially Desire who gets to visit her friends again.

At Mama Iseeke's home (New Year's Night)
After two days, I learn then that New Year’s will be at Mama Iseeke’s house; she is a close family friend of Melania’s and countrywoman from Tanzania). Naturally I always got excited when I visit because we get to blow Swahili and not worry about being proper speaking the English language. The down side to speaking Swahili all the time is that my baby has to keep asking what I said. So I switch between Swahili and English for her sake.

For New Year, to avoid getting caught up in the human and car traffic on the strip, we did not go out. From Mama Iseeke’s house, we could see the strip clearly. Besides that, she had a huge High Definition TV that blows one’s mind away. The fireworks both on TV and live, the children kept running in and out based on how loud the fireworks exploded. The site was incredible. My camera could not shoot the night-lights clearly, so all the shots came out blurry.

It was a Christmas & New Year to remember. Christmas 2008 in Africa, back home.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

At Mama Iseekes home (New Years …
At Mama Iseeke's home (New Year's…
The children & I