First time in Las Vegas; Getting Married!!

Las Vegas Travel Blog

It has been long since I thought about writing this blog. Las Vegas was one of the first cities I visited more than once in a year since relocating to the United States. I did not recall writing about my very first trip to Sin city! Well here goes! I relocated permanently to the United States in January of 2004. My home base was to be Arizona, well it still is. My visit to Las Vegas was actually to get married, which was as exciting  as I remember it. Jerry (ex-husband) had not told me we would get married out of state, nor did I expect to get married as quickly as we did when I moved to Arizona. His proposal was as much a surprise as it was exciting. Nonetheless, Las Vegas was exciting and I did look forward to going there.

I had heard much about Las Vegas from the press and all the movie media I had watched in years past. Naturally, I looked forward to getting there and seeing the city of ‘lights’ as I remembered it from a movie.  I, know many people say getting married in Vegas is like eloping, well I did not feel that way a little, but Jerry had taken care of the details including chapel, reception and wonderful suite for after the wedding. I had and still have family friends who live and have lived in Las Vegas for the last 16 years or so. I was glad to have them be part of my joyous day; Melania and Martin live in Henderson, they were part of the wedding and bore witness to my union to Jerry.

Our flight from Tucson International Airport was aboard Southwest Airlines. Our tickets for three passengers cost less than what I got quoted last week to travel alone from Tucson to Las Vegas ($382) not including the baggage fees for the one suitcase I had. I’m writing this blog 4 years later so times and prices for flights have changed considerably. We had reservations at the  Circus Circus Hotel & Casino; they hotel has a wedding package one can purchase for a considerable price. The wedding package included the chapel, photograph package and a wedding suite. It was also a great choice seeing as we had a three year old who would benefit from playing and going on rides at the arcade.

Our room was located in the high rise tower overlooking the strip. I do not recall being fascinated by the view, perhaps because I was getting married and having my fiancé' around to occupy my every thought made it impossible to worry much about the views. In fact I do not recall taking any photos other than those of the wedding. My family friends Melanie and Martin picked us up from McCarran International in a limousine (quite charming of Martin). The rest was romance, fun, food and laughter; I remember the laughter so much more.

We spend an extra 2 nights in Las Vegas, enjoyed the different night and day shows, and dined at a few fancy restaurants, before flying back to Tucson. I must say, I was charmed then and have since returned a dozen or more times. I’m always fascinated by Las Vegas and it’s charms, the best part of the city is the strip by night. If the lights and buildings and people do not charm you, then you really do not know how to have fun and should worry about your ability to appreciate life. It is indeed America’s playground, and it welcomes the world to its doors. Viva Las Vegas! Still one of my favorite cities in the United States.

PS: “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” Mark Twain.

Las Vegas