A Tasteful Wine Trail in the Leelanau Peninsula - cheers!

Lake Leelanau Travel Blog

giving some advises
Ok, we had more than enough time before dinner. So, we decided to explore the Peninsula and see why the Wine here is becoming popular. Good idea, hehe. There are 15 wineries in the area. We couldn’t visit all of them, but had the chance to visit at least a couple, hehe, experiencing the Leelanau Peninsula.

I like wine, but I have to be honest I’m just learning about it. In the other hand, Eric knows a lot about it. So it was perfect, he was with me for the wine tasting, suggesting me what to try and in which order to do it. Of course the staff in the different places were really friendly and helpful, but having personalized attention was much better ;) Well, this Wine Trail experience is for all senses.

My first Wine Tasting stop
Not only is about the wine and taste, also you will enjoy the beautiful landscapes from the area.

Our first stop was the: Good Harbor Vineyard. It was the first we pass after leaving the Sleeping Bear Dunes. It was my first experience Wine Tasting in a vineyard here. The staff was friendly and the atmosphere was nice. I loved the fact all the people were there for the wine and all shared their opinions and expertise. We got a map for the rest of the trail and found the vineyard which produces the wine we just bought in TC had a Wine tasting too. So we knew where to go next. Before leaving, Eric was promoting that other wine, haha. By the way, I loved the Pinot Grigio 2006. It’s a white wine, but it’s not too sweet. Just perfect! We took a bottle and Eric gave it to me to take it back home, hehe.

I guess this one was my fav, I have to go back there next time in MI :)
Thanks!

The 45 North: This was our second stop. These guys were the responsible for the wine we loved the day before in TC. Visiting it was a MUST, haha. Their wine tasting room wasn’t ready yet, but it didn’t mean they couldn’t make you taste their incredible wines. The past year they won some prizes and medals, great! When we were there, we recognized some familiar faces, haha, the people we met in the other vineyard followed Eric’s advise, haha. Eric talked to the lady in charge of the new Tasting Room and she gave us a mini tour and explained us a bit about their production. Cool!!!! It was time to try the wine and I already knew which one I wanted, hehe. We have already bought a case in TC, but we got new releases, not even labeled: “Sparkling Apple Wine” & “Apple Wine” They both were really good.

the 45's winners - wow! and they are a young vineyard
We got some exclusive products – great!!!! Before leaving we met 4 girls who were doing the Wine Trail since the morning. They were driving a Limo, how stylish! I was forgetting to say that my favorite was the semi dry Riesling 2007 – of course a bottle came to Lima, haha.

We went to the Bel Lago V & W: this vineyard was older. The staff was nice and the wine was good, while we were there the 4 girls arrived, haha. Eric introduced me as the “Peruvian girl”, haha, I might have been the only Peruvian in the area, hahaha. It was their first time in the area too. So, Eric asked them where they would have dinner. They mentioned a place, but weren’t sure how it was. So, Eric told them we would go to a really nice place and the girls accepted to join us.

my souvenirs - salud!!!
So he made a call to the restaurant and they had space for 4 people, yay!!!! We would meet late, yay!!!! Well, it was getting late and we still wanted to visit another vineyard before going to dinner, so we left.

Our final stop was: Gill’s Pier. I loved their tasting room, antique filled and cute. We arrived almost at closing time. The guy working there (I can’t remember his name - sorry) was really kind and helpful. He and Eric were discussing about the wines in the area and Eric told him about our 2 wines from the 45. He was curious about them, so Eric brought them from the jeep and we all tasted it, hehe. This guy was so friendly and told us he had wine made of honey at his house, mmm. First time I heard about that, oh!!!! Well, they closed but let us stay inside for a while. In fact they even let us use the restrooms to change our clothes. We needed to get ready for dinner. After dinner we’d go to a pub, we invited the guy to join us. Maybe we would meet later.

Ok, my Wine Trail was over. It has been really cool! Yeah! My first Wine Trail! I love experience new things :)

My first Wine Tasting stop
I guess this one was my fav, I hav…
I guess this one was my fav, I ha…
the 45s winners - wow! and they a…
the 45's winners - wow! and they …
inside Good Harbor
more grapes, hehe
more grapes, hehe
the winner of all - Riesling
the winner of all - Riesling
the best: Riesling 2007!!!
the best: Riesling 2007!!!
Nice Winery in Lake Leelanau MI - Good Harbor
This was the first Winery we visited during the Wine Trail in Lake Leelanau. It has been run by a family for 3 generations. They have white, red an… read entire review
Unexpected Wine Trail in the lovely Leelanau Peninsula MI
I'm not a wine expert and this was my 1st Wine Trail. I didn't know there was one in MI! What a great surprise :) There are 13 wineries part of thi… read entire review
Experience the Latitude! 45 North Winery
This was for me the best Winery of the Wine Trail in the Leelanau Peninsula. The name of the winery is because of its location. They are exactly on th… read entire review
Lake Leelanau