Forgot to mention... - Day 26

Amsterdam Travel Blog

We realized several days after the fact that we forgot to write about one of the fun things we encountered while in Amsterdam. While walking down a narrow street the second day we saw a mannequin outside a small store, dressed in a cape and wearing a gorgeus Venice-style mask. We ducked inside and found ourselves in a shop that specialized in hand-made masks from Venice. They were absolutely beautiful, with many styles and various levels of elaboracy (did I just make up a word?). The owner of the store was particularly friendly and proceeded to spend the next hour or so helping us to try on different masks and explaining much about them. It turns out the person who made these is the same who was commisioned to make all the masks in the film Eyes Wide Shut, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. I haven't actually seen the movie myself but I believe the premise is based on masquerade balls where everyone wears these masks. So of course mine and Jenni's favorite mask was apparently the same one that Tom Cruise wore.

What with our backpacks, we weren't able to buy any masks at this time, but they do ship to the states and we might buy some for Halloween this year when we get back. We did buy a couple of plain white base masks, so we could try our own hand at decorationg also when we get home.

Amsterdam