AsiaIndiaKolkata

2.Weeks.later....work,mum.almost.here........and.no.space.bar!!!

Kolkata Travel Blog

So.lots.has.happened.since.my.last(and.only!)blog.so.here.goes...its.a.long.one!

The.past.two.weeks.have.generally.revolved.around.work,shopping.and.eating!

I.made.good.progress.with.work.in.the.first.week.despite.the.extremely.uncomfortable.chairs....a.bit.like.sitting.in.an.executioners.chair.i.imagine!

There.was.a.loooong.power.cut.as.I.was.reading.in.bed....scary!

And.the.following.night.a.giant.cockroach(and.I.mean.THE.DADDY!)decided.to.wander.across.my.bathroom.floor.whilst.I.was.in.the.middle.of.peeing!

We.had.a.well.deserved.massage.at.the.end.of.the.week.and.found.a.Jain.restaurant.that.will.keep.us.in.vegetarian.food.till.we.are.about.50!!

Jainism.for.those.that.dont.know(like.me.before.reading.my.'bible'!)is.a.religion.

where.they.are.extremely.strict.vegetarians.and.sweep.the.path.in.front.as.they.walk.so.as.not.to.kill.any.living.creature...Of.course.there.is.more.to.the.religion.than.that.but.there.you.go!

Our.first.weekend.was.basically.one.big.photography.shoot!

Saturday.Alex.and.I.took.ourselves.up.town.and.just.wandered.down.a.road.dipping.up.side.alleys.

Well,as.soon.as.the.camera.comes.out.they.went.mad.for.it!Naomi.Campbell.watch.out!The.children.loved.posing.and.smiled.lots.of.cheesy.smiles.and.then.went.and.grabbed.their.brothers.and.sisters.and.cousins.and.neighbours.....you.get.my.drift!And.they.loved.seeing.the.results....ah,the.joys.of.digital.cameras!

As.we.walked.away.from.them.they.just.followed!!Its.like.being.a.celebrity.or.the.Pied.Piper.of.Hamlin!!

In.

the.evening.we.were.invited.round.one.of.the.team's.house.for.some.traditional.Indian.cooking....yum!And.then.on.to.a.very.untraditional.(Western)lounge.bar!

It.was.quite.a.contrast.from.the.usual.India.you.see.on.the.streets.with.conservative.dress.code.as.everyone.in.the.club.were.in.western.clothes....some.quite.revealing!What.you.can.get.away.with.behind.closed.doors.............!

Oh.and.I.forgot.to.mention.it.was.a.hookah.bar(not.that.sort.you.dirty.lot!)and.so.we.smoked.some.jasmine.hookah!

On.the.Sunday.we.were.lucky.enough.to.get.taken.round.a.market.and.the.back.alleys.by.a.top.Indian.photojournalist.as.his.son.works.for.Alex!Its.all.about.WHO.you.know!

Of.course.it.was.all.the.hussle.and.bussle.you'd.expect.in.India.and.more.

We.were.

told.it.was.a.fish.and.flower.market.and.thought."What.an.odd.mixture.of.things.to.sell.on.a.market"!!!Until.we.got.there.and.the.fish.were.goldfish!

Walking.around.the.alleys.we.turned.into.celebrities.once.again!!!

A.nice.traditional.meal.of.beans.on.toast.to.round.off.the.evening!

Unfortunately.the.earlier.aforementioned.beast.either.had.an.ugly.brother.or.had.made.its.way.to.the.kitchen.to.leer.at.me.as.i.rinsed.my.cup.up.nearly.causing.me.to.drop.it.

But.I.have.a.pet.gecko(who.I.named.Gita)in.my.room.so.I.can.rest.easy.knowing.she.is.watching.over.me.and.eating.the.mozzies!

The.second.week.seemed.to.go.well.work.wise...I.had.done.3.weeks.work.in.two.and.could.now.relax.and.spend.my.time.with.mum.when.she.arrives.

A.huge.(and.I.mean.HUGE!)thunderstorm.during.one.night.rendered.me.a.quivering.blob.of.jelly.and.I.had.to.go.jump.in.bed.with.my.cousin......what.a.wuss!

Kolkata