First evening in beautiful Warsaw

Warsaw Travel Blog

View from at the hotel entrance
My first impression of Warsaw was splendid. In advance, I didn't know well what to think of this city, because I knew it is completely rebuild after the war and so all the "old" houses really aren't old. I was afraid that it might have a "Disneyland" feel about it, as I'm a huge fan of old authentic architecture. Yet when our taxi drove from the new quarters to the old town, I was amazed every second of the ride. I liked the buildings I saw and the atmosphere the scenes had about them. I also liked the busyness in the newer part of town, I had missed out on the bigger cities during this holidays and I had started to feel sorry about it. But now I got what I had been looking for. And when we reached the old square at the palace, I was just so happy to have arrived here.
Warsaw palace by night
I new after one second, Warsaw is much more my kind of place than Krakow is. I fell in love straight away.

Our ho(s)tel, called Castle Inn, was on the square in a regular old building. It didn't look like a hotel and so at first we didn't notice it. But luckily we didn't need to search long. We had booked the triple room on the upper floor but after carrying all the luggage upstairs (the building is one of the few that survived the war, and therefor one of the oldest in Warsaw, so installing elevators is therefor forbidden by UNESCO) it turned out that the place was occupied buy other guests. The receptionist however was a very kind young lady that apologized about a hundred times and insisted on carrying my parents big bags back down herself.
Us in the amazing restaurant :)
After that, she started to toggle on her computer with a concerned frown on her face. I was about to argue that we made our reservation a long time in advance and explicitly asked for the room on the upper floor, when she suddenly turned back at us with a huge smile and said "Well, your room has been "upgraded". I love the word "upgraded", so decided to hold the complaints for another second. Then she showed us the four persons room at the ground floor. It wasn't a room really, it was about a suite. The bathroom was huge, the interior lovely decorated, and the main bed was red and round. To think we got all that space and luxury for just 25 EUR a night was amazing. It absolutely made our day.

After jumping around euphorically (we almost literally did) we went out for dinner. Again we were so lucky to find this marvelous restaurant called U Barssa. I'm going to look up the name and address soon because this is really, really recommended highly to everyone visiting Warsaw. The food was excellent, the service perfect, staff was really kind and the interior -although a little posh- also very nice. It marked a perfect ending to a perfect afternoon, sealed by the nicely enlightened old squares of the city as we walked back to our upgraded room, feeling as if we were in heaven.
My mother and I
My mother and I
Lovely desserts :D
Lovely desserts :D
First glance of the Warsaw square
First glance of the Warsaw square
Fake old buildings, looking real…
"Fake" old buildings, looking rea…
Warsaw Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
Nice restaurant with delicious food in a wonderful location
U Barssa restaurant is on the Rynek Starego Miasta, the main square of old Warsaw. This is a beautiful location, very cozy in the evening. The res… read entire review
Warsaw Hotels & Accommodations review
A unique hotel in a unique building in a unique location
This hotel is amazing, wonderful, beautiful, splendid,... I loved it. Check out their website and watch the pictures of the different rooms and you'll… read entire review
570 km (354 miles) traveled