Sightseeing Bath

Bath Travel Blog

View down the road from the B&B

And so, good morning Bath! My parents slept like logs, I didn't do too shabby myself and we went downstairs around 830am for breakfast. As I mentioned in my review on the previous entry, the b'fast was very good although the B&B lady was slow and took her own sweet time to prepare it. We set out around 1030am, my parents were so impressed with "England". The only "England" they had properly seen was London, so they felt really happy walking through a much smaller city, yet equally powerful in heart and tourists. I really had no major plans for this day - except that I wanted them to see the Roman Baths, and I thought the sightseeing bus will be a good way to see the place.

Great Pulteney Street

Prashanth was to join us from London by train at 11am, and he too wanted to see Bath. So my parents and I walked to the city centre (aka, the Roman Baths), and my dad wanted a cup of coffee. It wasn't raining, infact I loved the weather but for my parents, it was quite windy and chill. Right across the Roman Baths are tons of tea rooms so we head into one - I had cream tea! The cream here was really good - as in, genuine clotted cream. Not the "packets" of cream I got in the Lake District. And we boarded the sightseeing bus around 1130am.

There are 2 kinds of buses, the buses that go on the outer route of Bath where you get the splendid views, and then there's another sightseeing bus that goes in the inner part/town of Bath. We took the outer route first because we thought might as well take in the sights from afar when it isn't raining.

The Abbey
The views were very nice, the only problem with the bus is that it doens't offer you much stops for you to take pictures. I found some wonderful spots, but as I tried to click, the bus would just move away. My dad was interested in visiting the University, but I told him that we had other attractions to visit, and that we'd be visiting Cambridge anyway.

So after about 50 mins of the "outer route", we got down, it was around 1230pm and my parents visited the Roman Baths. They really seemed to enjoy it. I told them to spend not more than an hour here, they ended up spending nearly 2! I used that time to find a Internet surfing centre but there were none in the city centre, so I just strolled around. I enjoyed walking around, it reminded me of my trip 3 years ago. The city centre in Bath has all these old buildings, all of the same lime colour and yet they're all so fancy and seem to be very posh and upmarket.

Roman Baths
Plus, so many people! You can tell you're closer to London than the Lake District by the number of people.

My parents finished finally - after about 4-5 text messages and came out by 215pm - I was bloody famished and so we went right across to a pasty shop, and I had a very nice almond croissant as well. Food in the UK is so bloody good! I am bloody impressed. We then went on the inner route of the sightseeing bus and by this time, it had started to rain. My dad was feeling tired and surprisingly for me, travel fatigue had set in. I too wasn't in the mood to get down anywhere. I was hopng I could get down at the Cresent, but it was pouring by now and my parents were in no mood, so we just saw it from the bus. And saw vaguely I must add: it was raining and the mist had covered the windows.

Bath Abbey
The bus brought us back to the city centre around 430pm, we went back to the same tearoom for another round of cream tea, and Prashanth's train back to London was at 5pm. So he pushed off, the 3 of us walked around the city centre, had coffee at a Cafe Nero and went back to the B&B around 8pm before picking up dinner at a Bangladeshi rsnt.  We went back to the B&B, went upstairs, had our dinner and slept around 10pm. Well my parents slept. I was watching the BBC covering US elections, and planning my route for the next day. I was tired yet excited, my 2nd day of driving!

Bath Abbey
Another shot of Roman Baths - this…
Another shot of Roman Baths - thi…
View of Bath