Very short lay-over on the way home

Amsterdam Travel Blog

That morning lay-over was rather short, I had not slept that much in the previous flight but it was a little funny to see Schiphol a bit quiet at arrival this early (before 6am) but then to walk around and see it get more and more crowded in other spaces.

My most funny anecdotes was to see some UN representatives awaiting at the gate as the flight arrive to welcome the few african refugees that were on the plane. Some of them were to be sent to other destinations later that day, some were lone children. I even believe some were families being brought back together. I slowed down myself a bit to witness all the action. I think most of them looked more excited than worried, it was obviously challenge ahead for all of them.

The 'airport shopping mall' was also not all open so I decided to step outside the airport to get some fresh wet Nederlands air. It is funny how you feel connected but yet distant with all these when you stand like that at an airport and see the local bus passing by. You feel like you've live something they don't know but feel like you'd like them to know or would wish to fuse your life with the place and the moment. I look at the people with the same intent, wondering what has their experience brought so far. Travelling is exciting

At least that is how I feel like when I step in Europe, I wish I could connect with this sentiment of joy and feeling home, and have less of this feeling of being an alien.

Eventually, I went back to my gate to queue and answer the few security questions and hop I was back in another long flight to Detroit.

Amsterdam