San Francisco de Quito

Quito Travel Blog

Teleferico

First off the Quito airport is located right in the city...so the landing of planes is a regularly performed miracle. There is no room for error on the single runway. Yes I was a bit nervous! This city is surrounded by Mountains and Volcanoes. I took a ride on the Teleferico (cable car) which last about 10 mins but takes you to an altitude of 4050m. At the top you have an amazing view of the city and of the active Pichincha volcano. They have some great hiking trails, but being 4000 meters above sealevel it was hard to breathe. While in Quito, we were staying with my friends relatives. They were very welcoming and their hospitality was amazing. I got the chance to try many Ecuadorian dishes!!! They also gave me tours of this amazing city.

Another main attraction here is the Old City, with its cobbled streets, magnificent architecture and beautiful plazas. It is a popular place for visitors, lovely churches and alot of history. One is La Comaniade Jesus Church which dates from the 17th century, and the interior adorned with 7 tons of gold leaf! I visited El Panecillo, topped by the huge statue of the Virgen de Quito, a winged Virgin Mary. I went to the very top of this statue and it offers breathtaking views of the city surrounded by mountains and volcanoes. On one of my last days I went to "La Mitad del Mundo" where the Equator truly lies beneath your feet, according to modern technology that is. Something you must do once! Quito also hosts a great nightlife! The most popular nightime haunts are in the Mariscal area, which is known Zona Rosa with bars, restaurants and nightclubs, and is crowded with tourists.

me visitin some mountains