Castlegar Travel Blog

I get up at 9am in this very comfortable Golden Rim Motor Inn hotel. At 11am we left the hotel and started our trip south to Castlecar, which is a village near to the border to the USA.

After a few hours we made a short stopover at the village Kimberley. Kimberley is a nice Bavarian style village, where you can buy typical German things or eat some typical German meals and drinks, like Schnitzel and German bear.

We spent around half an hour to explore the city centre of Kimberley. Because German food and beverages are nothing special to us (were neighbors, as you hopefully know) we didn't try anything at Kimberley.

After that short stopover, we traveled further down to Castlegar, where we arrived at around 7pm.

We found the motel called “Cozy Pines Motel” pretty close the centre of Castlegar. A two-bedroom costs us 85CAD plus taxes, which is ok for Canada, even the Golden Rim Motor Inn was much more comfortable, more luxurious and if I had the choice I would prefer the more expensive Golden Rim Motor Inn.

Even the guy at the reception desk told me there is free Internet access available (as soon as the light in the Cozy Pines Motel sign lights up for the night (luminous hotel advertising), because the WIFI router is connected to the same power), nothing worked. I was not able to get an Internet connection, as usual in this country. I really hope this is working in the States, where we will be in a week or so. This is pretty annoying me.

Another unbelievable fact is, that the most part of our today's trip (around 300km) we had no mobile phone service provider available. It seems that in Canada you only can use your mobile phone if you are in or close to a village. We asked each other what to do if the car breaks down or an accident happens? This is Switzerland 20 years ago, but the difference is, that in Switzerland the next village is just a few kilometers away from any point

photo by: travelman727