The Stadium Of Light

Sunderland Travel Blog

I'm an incredibly lucky person when it comes to football matches; I was blessed with meeting and making friends along the way that have given me brilliant opportunities to see football games in the most comfortable of viewpoints.  On this day, my friend from university, Daryl, was available to see his beloved Sunderland, versus my beloved Everton.  Daryl's father is the chief steward at the Stadium Of Light, so getting tickets would be easy.  What I did not expect was the quality of the tickets we got.  We were treated to the padded seats, just behind the manager's and substitute bench.  I was so close, I could actually hear tactical changes being discussed!

We watched a pretty active first half, but it was goaless at half time when we went for a quick drink in the player's lounge.

A beer later, and we were back for the second half, in which Everton scraped a 0-1 victory in their quest for Champions League football.  It was a tad harsh on Sunderland, who battled bravely for a point or more, in their fight against relegation.  I felt sorry for them, but not enough to be delighted with the result.  We returned to Quinn's Bar after the game for a couple more drinks before jumping back on the metro bound for the trendy suburb of Gosforth, where Daryl lives.

After a little bit of food, we were back out for a few more drinks, then later around town for a long overdue night out.  It was great to catch up with one of my best friends, and great to see some Premiership football again.

Bobby Martinez
Bobby Martinez
Dazs Dad in the bottom right corn…
Daz's Dad in the bottom right cor…
Big Jeff again (Dazs Dad)
Big Jeff again (Daz's Dad)
photo by: wbboy29