Newark Castle

Newark-on-Trent Travel Blog

The short, eight mile drive was pretty with all the last of the summer green on show, and with the late afternoon light, it really did stand out.  Laughing and giggling in a playful manor, we reached the town, and parked the car close to the castle ruins.  it made it quite an obvious place to start our little walk around the market town.

The ruins are completely free to wander around, and are in a decent state to enjoy a short amount of time.  We wandered through, enjoying the various places and angles to take some photos, and also enjoy the great views of the adjacent River Trent.

After we had seen enough of the castle, we did the short river walk alongside the town, but then hunger really was starting to strike.  We had to find somewhere to eat.  The restaurants and bars provide the tranquility of being riverside, but has the price tag to match, and so being a spent up traveller and a student, it was a bit out of our price range.  I suggested we move on into the town itself and see the marke square, and just see what we stumble into.  The market square was almost devoid of people, and being an early Sunday evening, the entire town was pretty much closed up.  We found a reasonably priced pub, and grabbed an earlyish dinner, that would get us back to Nottingham on decently full stomachs.

A final stroll in the early evening light gave us some nice, final photos of the castle reflecting in the Trent, and then it was time to head on home.  I wanted to go via the pretty village of Gunthorpe, which nestles on the River Trent as well, but whilt driving on very familiar roads, I switch into autopilot, and headed in the direction of my parents house, and completely bypassed the turn off the A46 for Gunthorpe.  I could have kicked myself.  Instead we passed through the pretty town of Radcliffe-On-Trent, where I went to school, and have a plethora of growing up and teen year memories, and continued on through towards the city of Nottingham.  It had been quite a long day, but highly enjoyable, and I was satisfied that I was using the final few pleasant weekends of the year well.  I'm always proud to show off my home town and county.

matthew says:
It's totally free. It's a medium-sized ruin, but pleasant enough. Newark is a nice market town though, and worth a visit. Southwell is another close by town, with a very impressive minster. You can easily tie both into one day.
Posted on: Oct 08, 2013
joseph98 says:
Newark Castle looks like it might be worth a visit, if its free! I like a good castle, me. Might need to check it out next time I find myself in the area...
Posted on: Oct 07, 2013
Newark-on-Trent Sights & Attractions review
Newark Castle
Newark is a pleasant market town, and if you are there on market day, or just a simple weekend, you can gladly pass a few hours strolling amongst the … read entire review
photo by: matthew