My First TB Meet Up

Chesterfield Travel Blog

The broken Church. Chesterfield's famous landmark

12th and 13th July 08

Before I start: If anyone has seen that episode of the Simpsons where Marge and Homer host a party and Homer passes out, please bear that in mind before reading on.  Homer’s recollection of events may have been described as ‘patchy at best’, well, ah… you get the point.  If not, youtube some Simpsons.

Well, this was my first (of many (hopefully)) TB meet ups, and what a way to start!  I’d driven to Nottingham on the Friday night to see the folks, but had let them know I’d only be staying the night.

Friday night - we've all met up and are starting the night!
  When asked for my plans, I truthfully replied “I’m going to Chesterfield to meet a couple of guys from there, a couple of Dutch people, an American, and a Filipino; we all met on the internet”.  My dad shot me one of those looks as if to say “I was only asking; there’s no need to take the piss”.

So, it all began for me a few days before.  I got a message off JeAr saying Steph (darlingwish) was in the UK and we should all meet up.  I thought ok, and sent Steph a message.  She got back to me and let me know Wayne (Wayneollorenshaw) was organising it all, and so another round of messages and it was all go.  I wasn’t sure if it was a fully blown TB meet up or just a few TBer’s getting together for a weekend’s drinking, but I was made to feel very welcome right from the first messages and got involved (I think that’s known as cyber gate-crashing).

Craigo!!

I arrived in Chesterfield at 2pm and met up with Wayne and Adam (not on TB).  We had to go straight to the station to meet Steph and Audrey (Nomad-hippy) who were on the same train.  Steph got off and met us, whilst Audrey got confused and stayed on the train (she’ll have to tell that story sometime :D )!  We all went to a nearby bar for a quick round of drinks (cheers Adam) and then back to the station to meet Marc (Marc79) and Krystle (Krystle1985) and the group was almost complete…  Audrey arrived for the second time and so we drove to Bondy’s flat.  I took out a case of Buds and headed straight to the fridge only to find extremely limited space.  There was not a lot of food in it, but copious amounts of StrongBow (get ‘em in Wayne – good lad!!!)!

After a cheeky few we headed out to town.

Irish Car Bombs!
  Chat was in full flow by this point and it seemed like there was little/no polite stage.  Being a smaller group, it allowed everyone to bond quickly and this worked really well.  Craigo (Heircraigbarker – Adam’s brother) joined us at this point and fitted in like he’d been there from the off (little did he know that later he would one half of a newly formed Everley Brother’s and experience the joy’s of the Dutch! ;-) ).

It was time to get the train to Sheffield.  We boarded and almost straight away were all running from the ticket collector!  It was really funny, but I can just remember feeling pretty embarrassed and apologising to loads of people on my through.  Eventually (some of us) got caught up with and had to hold head's in shame and tails between legs in apology, but the guy still didn’t charge everyone?!  Others had found a pretty cunning hiding place in the toilets :-o.

That’s experience shining through for you eh Wayne, Craigo, Steph? lol

Anyway, we had arrived and went for a quick, but much needed, food stop.  It was time for everyone to get Steph back for all the surprise attack photos and stick the food bag over her head for our own photo opportunity!

Following that it was straight to another bar for a round of Jacques and playing some pool.  I and Audrey decided to swap accents for a while, but my American was some kind of crap merge of Australian and South African; she did a little better with the English.

Next stop was another bar and a round of Irish Car Bombs.

One last group shot
  This is half a pint of Guinness with a shot of Jameson's in it (I think), and when you’re ready (or on the count of three as it was for us) drop into it a shot of Baileys and sink it!  Well, obviously, by this point we’d all had a few and so caution can go out of the window.  Craigo started singing for the group/entire bar’s enjoyment.  This was quickly followed by a quick rendition of Lionel Ritchie’s Three Times the Lady and it was time for a duo performance of ‘You’ve lost that Loving Feeling’ to come out and play.  That was theme for night from then on!  Audrey, quite rightly, was keen to make amends and find a juke box to drown out our tone deaf shrieks (said in her lovely Californian accent) “Matty, where’s the juke box?  The rest of us were up for a round of Killer pool and so found a table (for those who don’t know what killer pool is: basically you have three lives - miss a pot and lose a life.  Pot the black and you gain a life.  It’s the last man standing).

It was time to hit the club, and the dance floor definitely took a hit!  That was only after a short walk/roll/piggy back to the club!  There’s quite a steep hill down to the venue with a grass bank at the side.

Marc flagging
  Some chose to walk, others roll to the club (Craigo and Wayne) – each to there own, but the inventive ways to arrive were amusing.  On entry, the most random group the club has possibly ever seen just all went crazy to the songs.  It was a great night with lots of drinking, erratic dancing and loads of fun.

Getting a taxi home in Sheffield is easy.  All you need to do is send out Craigo to stubbornly climb in and not budge, boot out the one’s who try to jump the queue, and set off on your way – simple.  We had a quick stop off at Craigo’s to get his guitar and serenade the taxi driver.  I asked him “how much he owed us” but we still ended up paying full fare L.

Pool Shark!

Back at the flat we all ate kebabs an attempted to play some ISS on the Play station.  Unbelievably we took the lead with a Swedish bullet header, but the batteries ran out at half-time with the score at one-all against Ecuador.  Time to crash (or bromance Marc/Craigo – eh?).  Krystle wisely bagged the sofa whilst the rest of us just found our own spot and let alcohol permit a decent night’s kip.

The controls were fully charged in the morning, so after a quick shower (cheers Marc for working out how to operate the damn it thing ;-) ) and some bacon butties, we were back in business.  We lost 4-2!  How did that happen?!  Winning when drunk (and playing with one eye shut so players aren’t just a blur) and then go on to lose when sober(ish).

Cheers Wayno
  There’s a moral to that story somewhere - you're always better at stuff when drunk, or something along those lines!

Audrey bravely got up and headed to the fridge in search of more StrongBow, and the last of the previous nights kebab, and the tone of the day was set.  Steph was last up (poor girl was knackered after being the most travelled by far), but then it was a walk up the road to the pub for a very much needed Sunday roast.  If anyone is ever visiting the UK – I cannot recommend a Sunday roast enough.  That and a Saturday fry up is the English cuisine (fish and chips as well of course).  I’m sure this was a first for Krystle, Marc and Steph, but not a last. We’re all back on the source at this point as well, and so another pub crawl around Chesterfield was the way forward.  Marc and Krystle weren’t to fly back to Holland until Monday (and then onto Barcelona for Krystle – good effort!) and Steph had another night to spare before going back to London, Audrey had a train due at 6pm, and I had to get back to Manchester at some point, so with the best part of the day at our disposal, why not?

A few pints of Guinness and some more blinding flashes from unexpected camera shots (Steph, I’ll get you back one day J) and then it was off to become a member of Riley’s Snooker Club for us all.

Krystle and Audrey
  A couple of tables for American pool and more tunes and banter and it was a lovely way to end the weekend.  I left at 8:30pm, but everyone else stayed Sunday night as well.  Even Audrey decided to miss her train and go Monday morning instead.  I was absolutely gutted to be leaving, but sadly I couldn’t drink being a driver L.

Well that’s where I end my part of the story, but I know there’s more to follow.  I said my goodbyes and dished out my hugs and shared the last photos, but Marc came with me to the car to pick up more supplies bought earlier to keep the party rolling.  So TBC I guess in other blogs – it may (or may not) involve missed planes and walking into doors, StrongBow fights etc… (I may know a few stories!).

Steph

Like I said at the start, hopefully this is the first of many TB meet ups for me.  I’m sure I’ll see all the guys again at some point in the future, be it at an Everton or Feyenoord football match, another organised meet up, or even on the travelling road.  For now it’s time to say temporary goodbyes, jump back on that Venga bus and sort out the next stop.  Could it be Manchester, London, Utrecht, Amsterdam or even further…

wayneollerenshaw says:
Hahaha, just re-read friend, good memories! ^_^ Get yourself over here anytime mate! :D
Posted on: Oct 03, 2008
darlingwish says:
ok done reading... awwww nice entry!!! i love it!
Posted on: Aug 30, 2008
darlingwish says:
oh i didnt know u had a blog about it! hahahaha been away from tb for too long! i will start reading!!! ^^
Posted on: Aug 30, 2008
The broken Church.  Chesterfields…
The broken Church. Chesterfield'…
Friday night - weve all met up an…
Friday night - we've all met up a…
Steph - pool sharking
Steph - pool sharking
Audrey
Audrey
Time for the forfeit!
Time for the forfeit!
Marc and Craigo - reminisce about …
Marc and Craigo - reminisce about…
Chesterfield