A Few Sights On The Way Home

Norfolk Travel Blog

With a surprisingly, and gratefully clear head, I woke at a reasonable time.  We had to vacate the cottage by 11am, and it really wasn’t a big problem for us.  We had packed the bulk of our things the evening before, so it was just a case of tidying up, and shifting all the remaining drinks and food back to the car; like I said, both Mark and I had packed generously. We said our goodbyes, but with an anticipation that we may meet later in the day at Sandringham.  Dora and I headed for the coffee shop, which had won awards for being one of the finest in the UK, and enjoyed a dose of caffeine before jumping into the car for the short journey along the Coast Road, past Stiffkey and on into Wells-Next-The-Sea.

It turned out Wells was a larger town than we had anticipated, and so we set about exploring it.

We were both a bit hungry by this time, after not really having any breakfast, and so pretty soon we were sat on the shore front enjoying the local fish and chips.

With a bit of time to spare we decided on a little walk up to the coast, and see the beach.  It actually turned out to be a really nice fine grain sand beach, and shocking good for the UK.  It was a tad cold for sunbathing, but just right for kids to enjoy, and build sandcastles etc.  It was such a cute little place that I just had to take a little beach stroll and take a few photos of the quaint little beach huts lining the back of the beach.

The town was very picturesque, with a lot of little artisan shops, and galleries in the main drag, that we couldn’t resist staying a little longer than first planned.

I had noticed that my phone had once again lost reception, so there was little to no chance of being able to meet back up with everyone anyway.  We decided it would be best just to drive along the coast, and head home.

Back in the car, we did a couple of little stop offs along the way.  First one was the Holkham National Nature Reserve, which was a big flood plain, and then through Burnham Deepdale, which was another cute little village, and on to Holkham Hall for a little walk around the grounds.  We were both quite tired by this point, and time was ticking on by.  It also started raining a little bit, so we agreed it was time to go home.  The mini break had been very enjoyable, and quite eye-opening in that such a nice, pleasant place was so close and accessible.  I formed a little bit of a plan about what I’d like to see on a return trip, and that return trip would be happening.  The coastal road just seems to begging to a bike ride for me one day soon.

Norfolk