Bolsover Castle

Bolsover Travel Blog

Being the Easter weekend, we (my girlfriend and I) had a little bit more time on my hands than normal, and since I had been up the M1 plenty of times, and have always seen Bolsover Castle from the distance, and had promised myself many times to go and see it up close one day.  We jumped in the car and set off for the short journey.

The castle itself has been beautifully restored to show off its glory, and the wealth of the Cavendish family.  They actually owned much more than the castle, and in fact, three nearby stately homes were also owned by the family, and William Cavendish went on to become the first duke of Newcastle.  The castle was largely used for entertainment purposes, and royalty were frequent visitors.

It was a touch on the expensive side to go in, at £10, but I had come to see it, so bit the proverbial bullet and paid the enterence fee.  I did consider joining English herritage, with an annual membership, but at £49, I doubted I'd be able to get my money's worth in a year, where I'm stuck in the rat race, and working as hard as any other nowadays.  The castle was a very nice way to spend a couple of hours, and a short half day trip, and given that it was such a lovely day, we could see it in its prime.

photo by: vixen2306