The Big TB Meet Up

Edinburgh Travel Blog

Brett, Hannah, Lori and John

After the last one fell through, Bondy and Hannah came up with the goods and organised this TB Meet up.  It was brilliant!  Somehow, via promoting/bullying, there was a good turn out for this meet up.  The Attendees were:

Me, Bondy (Bondy2007), Ashley (ashleynpearson), Hannah (hannah-lou), Andre (Woosah), Mark (magera), Susheel (thesweethereafter), Mike (globetrottingmike), Derek (derekbilldaly), Suzanne (suzannebell), Brett (metsbwd), John (londonstudent), Lori (lovely_lori88), Anna (not sure of her TB name), plus non-TBers Jenn and Brian.

Just to note: we were all in Edinburgh, Scotland and out of a group of 16, no-one was actually from Edinburgh and only two people lived in Scotland!  That's the beauty of TB and the meet ups.

Suzanne, Mike, Susheel and Derek
  We all get to hang out, have a laugh and a few beers in cool cities of our choice, with or without the locals i.e. everyone is up for the good times and seeing new places.

Please also note I've changed the date to keep consistnecy with the story.  The meet up was actually on the 11th which was the Saturday night after the day doing the walking tour.

Right, where was I?  Oh yeah, a bit pissed after the football, but raring to go after a half time power knap.  Me and Bondy were the last arrivals at the meet up, but that really didn't matter.  We certainly weren't playing catch up and we'd already met almost everyone by now anyway.  In fact Sucheel and Suzanne were the only new additions to the group, but very welcome additions they were.

Bondy (VLR)

Everyone was in full conversation and chatting away enjoying their cocktails so me and Bondy went to the bar and joined in.  We had these absolutely minging Mohitos blurrgghhh they were so gross, so we decided to down them and pick another one at random.  Bondy came back holding two very feminine looking drinks and a cheeky smile on his face.  The rule was we had to drink them with the little pinky (that the little finger people!) sticking out.  Just our small, unfunny joke.  We polished those off and then it was beer O'Clock for me.  I wasn't up for any more risk taking with the cocktails. Ashley collected a few quid off everyone and sorted out a good round of shots - nce move to keep the banter going!  I wasn't the only one on the beer at this stage!  Brett and Andre decided to have a crack at drinking the 10 beers of the world.

That's the minging Mohito
  If you complete the challenge and collect all the stamps for each bottle, you win a tee-shirt.  The boys went to work with the first few bottles going down well.

The sandwiches arrived and almost everyone tucked in.  A quick food stop is always useful, but I've got a Saturday night rule of "Eating is cheating".  Call it immaturity if you want, I don't care, I was getting quite happily pissed without the sobering effects of food.  It was getting on a bit and the cameras were still flashing pretty much non-stop.  I asked Derek about Bob (RIP) his beloved lightbulb.  This caused a tear to be shed from the big fella; you're my Bob, you're my boy.  I decided it might be a good time to call a few cabs and head off to another bar.

Ashley's round of shots
  Brett had one beer to go so charged up to the bar to complete the challenge and get his tee-shirt.  Goood lad Brett!  We all moved outside to sort the cabs, but hang on... where's Andre?  He failed with the beer challenge right?  Is he ok?  No, he's in the toilet taking time out (that's polite isn't it?!).  It looked like we had our first casulty of the night already.  The phrase it's a marathon, not a sprint sprang to mind, but he made it out ok and the fresh air seemed to help.  I flagged a cab over and took Brett and Andre with me and Ashley to The Three Sisters.  Brett at this stage was showings signs of flagging; it was clear by the time his coat was being stuck over his head that he'd peaked too soon and wasn't going to last the duration.
  Andre, on the contrary, seemed to have turned the corner and was back on it!  Brett had won the tee-shirt, but it was fair to say the beers had been the winner as they had destroyed Brett!

We all arrived within a few minutes of each other and hung out in the bar listening to the music of yesteryear.  I must admit, I wasn't the biggest fan of Take That and the Spice Girls first time around, but pure 100% cheese music, nah, not my thing.  I turned to the ale and switched off for a while.  Most of the others were quite happily dancing away and I was happy enough to carry on with drinking myself into a Brett style inebriation.  In fact, I remember thinking ah well, I'm in Scotland, and then following up by ordering shots of whiskey.

The feminine cocktail
.. I think the cirrhosis of my liver has recovered now and regrown those lost cells.

After a while, I thought, it should be time to find a club.  We asked a few locals and Espionage was suggested - fine, that'll do.  We walked a short way up the road, but no-one really seemed to know where we were going.  I thought sod this, let's get a cab, but Suzanne said we should just walk, it can't be far.  It turned out that it was less than a minutes walk!  I should have got a cab for embarrassment sake.

The rest of the night spent in the club remains hazy at best, but do remember hanging out with Bondy and Andre (who was back on the drink by the way!!) for a while, but when I came back, they'd gone.  I sort of hung around the dance floor for a bit, but was drunk enough and had no more money on me to get more.

I remember Ashley telling me earlier that she always has to have a drink in hadn, and I sort of agree with that principle for nights out.  I quite fancied a kebab as well, so I shuffled quietly out of the door and made my way back to the hostel.  I couldn't find a kebab house thankfully, but I did find Bondy!  He and Andre had got lost and left the club about an hour before me.  They'd only just got back!  Everyone had stored a bit of stuff in my locker as we doubled up the pad locks (it was the only way to lock it properly) and so i made a right mess geting my stuff for the night out.  I got myself sorted out, but physically couldn't lock the bloody thing back up.  Sod that, it was pretty much just us in the room anyway, apart from one random weirdo who was out for the count anyway, so I just left it looking like the room had been trashed.
Me and Ashley
  Apparently this caused a bit of worry for the guys when they came back and found it, but by that point I was long gone and missed it all.  Really sorry guys *hangs head in shame* It turned out, I was the first to go to bed!  What the?!  And I thought I had staying power >.<  Clearly not!  Actually, that's not totally true, we mustn't forget about Brett holding the record for first to bed, a mere 3-4 hours earlier.

bschooled says:
haha!! Eating is cheating...we have that rule here as well, only we call food "harshing the buzz"...
Posted on: Nov 16, 2008
lovely_lori88 says:
Ahh what a good night!! so fun :)
Posted on: Nov 13, 2008
Lilliana77 says:
I just can say that you guys have very strong livers!!!!! :D
Posted on: Oct 28, 2008
Thats the minging Mohito
That's the minging Mohito
Ashleys round of shots
Ashley's round of shots
Me and Ashley
A rare photo where Lori didnt kno…
A rare photo where Lori didn't kn…
Bondy, Ashley, Me and Andre
Bondy, Ashley, Me and Andre
HWs
HW's
Hannah, Suzanne, Mark, Susheel, Je…
Hannah, Suzanne, Mark, Susheel, J…
Me and a recovered Andre