Day 12: Sydney

Sydney Travel Blog

 › entry 9 of 12 › view all entries
Seeing as this was my last day in Sydney... I had to try and cram in as much touristy shit as humanly possible.  I started the day by walking the cliffside/coastal path from Bondi Beach to Coogee.  It took about 3 hours to get to Coogee and back on foot... but the views along the way were amazing and well worth the hike.  After my walkabout... I had a shower... then hopped on the 389 with the intent of taking it all the way to Circular Quay in downtown Sydney.  Along the way, the bus stopped directly in front of a Ticketek Office and a random thought popped into my head.  Within seconds I was off the bus and in the ticket office inquiring about tickets to the Australian Open.  I'm not much of tennis fan... but I remembered seeing that the Oz Open would be going on while I was gonna be in Melbourne.  Bottomline... I ending up scoring some groundpasses to the opening day of the event and at that point I was thoroughly looking forward to my first professional tennis Open.  With my impulse buy out of the way... I strolled over to Darling Harbor to see what there was to see (I really should think about creating an itinerary sometime).  I wandered around the Restuarants/Shops for a bit before I stumbled upon the Sydney Wildlife World and Sydney Aquarium.  I'm a sucker for cute/fuzzy animals... so I bought a ticket to each venue, grabbed a single scoop ice cream cone (just like all the other cool kids were doing) and went to check out all the critters.  After satisfying my urge to view native flora/fauna... I continued down Darling Harbor... cut over to the Sydney Fishmarket for a while... then ended up at Paddy's Market (fyi... this was a long ass walk).  All this damned walking was making me thirsty, so after Paddy's I cut through Chinatown to George Street and stumbled upon Scruffy Murphy's.  I'd been to Scruffy's in Phuket... so I decided to drop in and see how the Sydney version compared to it's Thai counterpart.  I downed a pint and tried to figure out the cricket match on the TV for a bit... then I figured "why stop now?"... and thus began my self guided pub crawl back to Bondi Beach.  After Scruffy's, I caught the train up to The Rocks and hit several pubs there (including Fortune of War... "the oldest pub in Sydney" where the original convicts used to get pissed).  After my drinking tour of The Rocks... I hailed a cab to King's Cross.  King's Cross was sort of dead... so I only had a pint of Toohey's before heading back to Bondi to call it a night and prepare for another long day of driving.  
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: Sunflower300