Victor Harbour

Adelaide Travel Blog

Mick and Bev were back at work today, so it was flying solo foir the day. I'd decided upon Victor Harbour after due consulatation as being accessible and by the coast.

Brother had generously (sportingly, foolishly.. insert your own adjective here) agreed to lend me his car for the day.

I set off fairly early armed with map and printed directions, but in the Adelaide rush hour, took a wrong 'un and found myself  somewhat off track. After a few pit stops to consult the map, I pointed myself at VH  and off I set.

I'd gone partly to catch up with this shark museum/disply that had been moved there fro Glenelg and found it as part of a whaling exhibition in a converted tram shed. I have to say that if that's all I'do come for i'd have been disappointed.

I wasn't expecting Sydney Aquarium, but it was a tad small. Laudible, but small.

Anyway, I got some food at a local caff and set off for Granite Island. This was altogher more impressive. Took a horse drawn tram along the jetty and set off on the 2k walk round the island. It was splendid. Sunny day, fairly quiet and just myself for company, so 2 out of 3 ain't bad then. Took some pics and got buzzed by a bird as I must have strode too near to her nest. Partook of just the one beer at the end of the walk and returned to the car.

Decided to drive home via the Maclaren Vale scenuc derive (not as scenic as the Barossa Valley in my opiniopn, and then via Mount Lofty as I wanted to pick up a jacket I'd seen there. Well, they didn'y have my size, but promised to email me when new stock arrived and/or ring Bev, so hopefully that'll happen before the UK winter sets in 'cos that's what it's for.

I wanted to call in at Penfolds on the way home and get a couple of wine glasses as a thank you for mine hosts, but as I was navigating by luck and judgement, postponed this until hopefully I could cadge a lift off one of them in the morning.

I ought to mention that normally driving doesn't thrill me that much, but driving abroad does, for some odd reason, especially here, 'cos they use the same side of the road and car for the wheel, but today also had an added bonus as Mick's car is a Mazda MX5 1800 turbo with 6 gears to play with! Mid life crisis? Quite possibly, but it sure was fun!! Cheers Bro!

I took B&M out in the evening for a meal as a thank you. Indian. Jolly good too.

photo by: shirlan