Port Douglas. Day 5. Daintree Trip

Port Douglas Travel Blog

I'd booked this trip a day or two ago and at 7.50 on the dot, the bus (4x4, whatever), arrived and my day began.

The tour was a series of stop offs and things to see including the Mossman Gorge, Daintree River, Cape Tribulation and Stingray Bay.

The gorge was a taster for the Cape, so our driver said, but even so, it was wonderful. Despite being told not to go off on the circular walk, the rest of my fellow travellers did just that and we were in grave danger of missing the Daintree Boat, and therefore I was in grave danger of being a victim of the Queensland judicial system! However, they did return and we made it to the river trip in time.... just!

Well, the trip was amazing and informative. The guide had a good knowledge and a pithy sense of humour. Although I'd seen crocs at Green Bay yesterday, like everyone else, we all wanted to see them live in the river and we weren't disappointed.

Saw 3 of them of varying sizes. Impressive beasts and not something to tangle with!

As well as that we had an informative talk on the mangroves and other fauna and flaura.

Lunch was at some location in the rainforest and was splendid. After that, we departed for the advertised 4x4 section of the journey and I opted to sit in the frot seat. Well, if this is the alternative road to the main drag to Cooktown it's fine... as long as yo're not in a hurry and you're in a 4x4. It was exciting and spine shortening!

Cape Stingray was a wonderfully deserted beach and the last leg was to the Daintree Ice Cream Factory. I was a tad sceptical, but they make the ice cream from fruit grown on the estate and it was marvellous stuff.

After that it was back to PD and for me, another schooner or two in my local and then pizza and a glass or three of white back home.

Cape Tribulation Rainforest