Port Douglas- Day 3

Port Douglas Travel Blog

I'd stocked up on a few basic provisions- beer, cans of G&T, corn flakes, etc. so had breakfast in the apt then took a morning constitutional to the beach and back. Delayed swimming until another day.

THe car hire chap had been splendid and when I said i was going to Kuranda, even let me pick the car up at 10.00.

Off to Kuranda it was. I'd passed it on the way out and as we spent all our time on the Cook highway, navigation wasn't a problem.

I arrived too late for the train ride up, so decided to use the Skyrail both ways. What a wonderful thing it is. Whisks you up the mountains just higher than the rainforest canopy. Birds were squawking, but always invisible. There are 2 stops on the way up to Kuranda and I got off at both to wander round and take pics.

Being in a rainforest was just amazing. Kuranda vilage has all the usual tourist bits, but I can't balme them for that, ├žos I was being a tourist! I opted for a combination of the walks that it has, stopping off only to part with 15 dollars to see an exhibition of Australia's deadliest creatures. Almost masochism! I'll say one thing for this country, it has more than its fair share of creatures that will make you very uncomfortable at least and very dead at best. Looked gingerly at some of its most venemous snakes and spiders. The Redback and Funnell Web are tiny... but...

Back down the Skyrail and credit to the operators. They are friendly, charming and didn't try to fill up each cabin to the max 6, so I was allowed one all to myself. Not that I don't like company... just preferred the chance to have it to myself to click away merrily.

Had planned to pop into Cairns, but it was getting dark and as I drove in down the very winding section of the Cook highway in pitch blackness, opted for a dusk drive. Less weraing on the nerves all round.

Home, change, out, beer, meal and bed. A fine day!

Port Douglas