Hong Kong

Hong Kong Travel Blog

Day 1

Arrived mid afternoon and showered and shaved. My clothes felt like they had been on for 24 hours... which they had! more a part of me than items of clothing. Got to the hotel mid afternoon and now fully understand what real humidity is. I passed a shop offering saunas. What! If I could persuade anyone the need for a sauna in these conditions I'd be the world's No. 1 salesman of anything. Al you need to do is move an arm slightly towards your drink and you leak.

Anyway, Ruth and I decided that we were not going to leg it round and try and see everything there was to see because: a) we had jet lag, b) it would have been to much of a rush, c) movement equals effort, d) on the 21 st floor of the hotel there's a jolly decent pool to lounge by and e) it is a holiday, so we'll darn well do what we like, and if someone says ' Oh, you really should have.

...' they can ....... well, they can.

Evening meal with my cousin, a resident of 25 years now and thence to bed, via the hotel bar for a snifter for me.

Day 2

Late get up and decicion made for a chill out day and stay local. I visited the gym- yep- on holiday- in the morning whuilst Ruth slept. In the afternon we mooched around Nathan Road in Kowloon, 'cos that's our hotel's location, and fought off many offers of fake Rolexes and suit fittings, though the latter is on the agenda. Had seemingly endless offers of cameras accerssories and assorted electrical goodies. Doubtless I'll succumb as a new lens is needed, despite this leading me to be refgerred to as a geek by my dear daughter.

Finally decide on a suit supplier that was close to the hotel. Apart from knowing someone specific or having a recommendation,, they all seem much of a muchness. Anyway, this chap seemed OK so i opted for a 3 piece and 5 shirts to boot. And he delivers to the UK to save me lugging them across OZ. Contempating a second.

Another evening meal, courtesy of my cousin, this time in a revolving restaurant 66 floors up. It offered splendid views of the city at night.

Day 3

Bit of a tourist day today. Went to The Peak and took the lazy option of the tram both ways. Well, we were both finding the heat and humidity pretty exhausting and I like to keep the locals in employment!

Took a few pics from there as it offers splenid views of HK, though Ruth was less than interested in my newly rekindled interest in photography.

'Geek', is the phrase she often used!Succumbed to purchasing one or two typical touristry things whilst we were there- names done in Cantonese- well, I trust they are our names and not some obscenity! and a fridge magnet or two. I pride myself in being able to do both culture and tat!

After that we went to Stanley Market. Not that either of us had a burning desire to go, but my Mum- who has visited HK often- insisted I took Ruth for some cheap clothes (like she needs more clothes)? and if I hadn't, I fear my inheritance was at stake. Good job the taxis are cheap. It was miles away and in most other countries I'd have been reaching for large bank note or a credit card.
Opted for dinner in the hotel following such a hectic day!
that evening, Ruth and i went for a foot massage, but whilst there, were persuaded to opt for the 'full body package'.
I have to say it was 300 HKD well spent. Well, it was my birthday! About 90 mins and although there was the odd 'ouch' moment as they found hitherto unknown knots and undid them, I came out feeling most serene. The next day, the lady who booked us in asked if 'my wife' had enjoyed the experience. I put her right, but it shows what we westerners get up to out there!

Day 4
Well, a lie in of major proportions! Not that yesterday was too physically taxing, but we both just seemd to fail to find the urge to leave our beds until...... well, late morning shall we say!
I got up and went for to the gym to ease my guilt. Ruth was semi awake and said she wasn't well, so i retired to floor 21 and the poolside, armed with book and ipod. Had several episodes of Kermode's podcast to catch up on.
View from The Peak
Ruth still wasn't up by tea time and was still feeling peeky, but i persuaded her that she needed to rise if only to eat. It was around this time that she told me that she was feeling homesick. I think it was also a delayed reaction to the passing of her Gran, Pat, as well as missing new partner, but she was certainly glum. We went for tea, but it was a short one for Ruth and she soon retired back to bed, and I to the bar and the Phillipino musicians who performed each evening.

Day 5
Well, plans were about to change. Ruth was really feeling homesick and broached the possibility of cutting the holiday short and going home.
I asked her to think about it carefully whilst I went off to finalise getting my suit and shirts sent home to the UK and to cheers myself up, ordered another!
We checked out of the hotel, left the luggage at Kowloon station and booked a harbour tour whilst we decided what to do.
View from The Peak
Poor Ruth. She was so desperate to go back but riddled with guilt about wasting money and leaving me to continue on my own, but after what seemed like an age, we decided that if we could get her home, we would. There had been calls to her mother in Spain and messages of supoport from back home and we wondered if arriving in Austrailia would change things. It was a no-win situation for us both.
So.. off to the airport to arrange an early return. Well, my flight to Sydney was at 9.10 and it took calls to Gus at TravelBag (Thanks for all your help) and visits to more airline desks that i thought possible. A standby ticket from BA was on offer, but she wouldn't know if she was on one of their 3 flights until 3 hours after I'd left and I wasn't happy with that, especially as the next BA flights were 24 hours later.
View from The Peak
Should i bump my flight to Sydney by a day? Anyway, Virgin Atlantic had one seat left, so out with the credit card to book it and get her checked in before I had to depart. Made it with time to spare, but not much!
We exchanged farewells, Ruth feeling awful, and traded texts until I had to turn my phone off for the flight.

If anyone thinks this decision was taken on a whim of a bored young female, they really haven'yt a clure how she was: knew she was wasting money, leaving her Dad alone (I'd assured her I was more than capable of surviving!!) and she knew she was passing up several experiences she'd been looking forward to and might not get to do again, but she was so unhappy, she needed to return. In fact, I admiire her for being honest. Some offspring might have tried to carry on to keep the old man happy.
View from The Peak
That would have been difficult.
 I'll miss her, but the hol takes on a different dimension now. No comments about my photograophy for a start!

So, that was Hong Kong. Hot and humid, exciting, busy. I'd visit again but it's not a place for a long stay for me. As a stop over for 3 or 4 nights, it's splendid. Any longer and I think I'd melt... at this time of year anyway.

And so to Sydney.