Cudlee Creek

Adelaide Travel Blog

I'd been told in no uncertain terms by my brother and tour guide not to go near 'Koala and Kangaroo' places on my travels 'cos it was on the list for my Adelaide section of the jaunt. So... I didn't, in a rare moment of doing as I'm told.

We set off and arrived in a heavy drizzle, so took refuge in the cafe for a coffee. Once the rain had moved on we 'did' Cudlee Crek. I must say, it was pretty well done. Not too big and although some animals are caged- and quitte right too for beasts such as Cassorwaries and Panthers- a lot are free to roam the grounds. Especially the wallabies and kangeroos who can spot a tourist with food from some considerable distance.

I'm not overly sentimental, but it was fun to feed them by hand and snap pics (uploads later) from close range.

Part way round there was a koala holding stop. What charmingingly docile creatures they are. They hung on to a total stranger without batting an eyelid. Actually, the ones in the trees aren't given to too much wild movement. Think I'll come back as one. Sleep for 18 hours a day, wake to nibble eucalyptus leaves for a while, then back to sleep.

After that it was a tour of the area, including Harndorf, where Bev went for a sleep in the car and brother and I consumed several beers in the pub. Excellent.

photo by: shirlan