The Journey-Part 1

London Travel Blog

Hull to Hong Kong

Hull Trains were comendably efficient and The Tube was as expected. There are lessons to be learned from the ex-territories here. Terminal 5 was quite impressive and next time I'll trust the online booking system and get a later train and save time hanging about there, but in fairness to my decision, T5 hadn't got off to the most auspicious start on opening.

Well, wasn't sure what to expect from my first long haul flight, but now know why haul is in the title! I didn't expect to be able sleep horizontally or stretch my arms without touching the passengers next to me, but I'm now a master of sychronised eating, being the middle of 3, and if it ever becomes an Olympic event, I'm, your man!

The meals on the flight were fine and BA did have the decency to offer free wine and beer, but as the bloke in the aisle seat was obviously a gold medal contender in the forthcoming Olympic sleeping marathon, it was a fair test of the bladder for a few hours. Maybe my usual last minute pee before nodding off is unecessary after all? I'll investigate on my return.

We landed at Hong Kong airport and it was a train to Kowloon and a free shuttle bus to the hotel. We were the last of 6 drop offs, but it gave us a free tour of Kowloon as we toured the other drop off points. Whilst the London Underground is crowded, expensive and stuffy, the MTR in Hong Kong is crowded, cheap and air conditioned. It wins hands down (Note to Boris Johnson). So does the Taxi service, compared to any other place I've been to. There are hundreds of them using them is pretty darn cheap. 2 quid for a journey that would have the credit card wincing elsewhere.

Well, that's the journey summarised. Kong Kong is another chapter, but for now, it's back upstairs for a G&T before sleep beckons.

photo by: ulysses