First stop, Arras.

Arras Travel Blog

Beffroi, Place des Héros

My girlfriend and I had booked a little get-away to the north of France through a website called weekendcompany.be. Our package included 2 nights at the Chateau Tilques, breakfast and a 3 course meal on the night of arrival. Since this was so cheap, we figured we'd probably end up having to sleep in the stables or something, but boy, were we wrong.

We left on saturday morning and since this was the National Holiday weekend here in Belgium, we wanted to avoid the roads to the coast. We first headed east to Liège and then south west to Saint Omer, avoiding the payage and ending up in Arras, where we stopped to have a look around.

When we saw the Grand Place, our hopes were high. It was beautiful. A bit further, we saw the Belfort on the Place des Heros, where the market stalls were just closing up. But it all sort of went downhill from there. The cathedral, the library, the theatre,... I don't know. Maybe it was also that the weather wasn't cooperating, but the city had this dull, grey feel to it. It was depressing.

We stopped for coffee on the Grand Place and decided to drive on.

Bibliothèque