Melbourne Travel Blog› entry 2 of 2 › view all entries
so thats it.. my hols has come to an end.. in the airport now waiting to board the flight.. and i have 14mins left of the internet usage... and thats for 2 aussie dollars mind you.. let me say one thing bout aust,,, things are NOT cheap.. can u imagine renting the airport trolley for ur luggage at 4 dollars.. and roti canai is bout 2 dollars.. and cotton shop and MNG is cheaper in spore... but then m glad to say that despite the exorbitant cost, m not down to my very last dollars rite now (like how i usually end up in d airport when m travelling)...
so in a nutshell.. wat nutshell!!! 10 things I loved doin here (in no particular order)...
1. Coffeee is awesome babe... though flat white and latte is generally good everwer (even at McCafe), the bestest of the lots have to be at the galleons in st kilda.
2. Driving along the Dandenongs.... have to do this if u can drive,,, perhaps i didnt pick the best time of the day of the mth of the yr to drive up there.. coz according to the locals, it was one of the coldest day so far.. and mercury was close to freezing,,, but then it was all good since i was in the car most times driving.. and for some reason, the radio was playing Martin Luther's I Have a Dream speech at that time.. it kindda enhanced the whole experience.. it must be the most relaxing part of my hols..
3. the leather boots!! yeah baby,, they're crazy... coz got myself a pair.. cheapest to get in Victoria market... and are they super comfy or wat.
4. the first site of the 12 Apostles along my drive in great ocean road... it was everything u see in the pics... took my breath away,,, and yes it was freezin there, but somethin bout that view that makes u weather the coldest of cold.. my only regret was not carrying a dslr wit me.. thats it.. m gettin me a cannon 450D the minute i land in spore.. (or mayb penang.
5. the old melbourne gaol.. yeah,, being the morbid sardonic me... how can an old prison where victoria's oldest convicts and capital punishment took place not impress me.. the thing is, my whole time there i keep getting goose bumps.. and it was not even thought provoking as the one in phnom penh.. maybe was the ghost.. and while there, have to catch the play on Ned Kelly, apparently a convict cum hero who was last taken to the gallows... when i was ther, the story was told from his mom's perpective and that woman's performance was so fantabulous she makes us forget she's acting for a sec... and me bein the all women activist, she made a mark.. mayb wont happen to all..
6. go into victoria market wher they sell the cheese and sausages and food stuffss and take beautiful close-ups.
7. oh yes.. try indian food at the bala's at st kilda.. again.. yes, chappati will cost you 2 dollars.. but the food is very good.. especially after havin western food and breads and pastries for too many days.. they serve a fusion of both indian and chinese.. and its the best indian food ive had so far in melb... and still in the topic of food... go into a lebanese rest (not necessarily the ones in food courts) and have a piece (yes one is big enuf) of baklava... must say this place is a haven for sweet tooths... i tried my pastries and cakes and deserts every chance i had.
8. reading "Eat, Pray & Love" by liz Gilbert in the park and restaurants over coffee... must thank my bestest bud Mano for this.. the best bday gift so far and what perfect timing.. i felt like i was living the author's life when she was in Italy indulging in all things FOOD.. coz that was exactly wat i was doing in Melb.. guess india has to be next.. or mayb mecca, for my spritiual pilgrimage...ill write a whole column on this book sometime.. its too good to be jus casually mentioned here..
ok.. lets stop at 8.. cant think of anythin else rite now.
9. the weather.. my god wished mercury didnt dip so low... m i glad to be back to our sunny sticky sometimes painfully hot weather.. yes, glad!!
10. being harrased by the custom when i landed in perth... apparently i fell into the high risk category for a number of reasons.. single woman traveller, malaysian passport holder, frequent traveller and yup.. inevitably being a muslim.. the officers had to ransack my bags and check my phone and sms..not a pleasant episode alrite..
so there goes.. my hols has come to an end.. i rate it 7 over 10... was a good one.. quite an experience...