Day 11: Homeward Bound

Jerusalem Travel Blog

I have been abroad for almost a month now and I'm ready to go home.  I'm tired.  I miss my husband, my dogs, my own bed, my own shower.  Tonight I fly back home and even though I hate flying, I'm actually looking forward to the 12 1/2 hour flight from Tel Aviv to Atlanta because it means I'll be one step closer to home.

We do have a full day of activities before departure though.  First a lecture (that's filmed for an upcoming documentary) from a woman who reported on the Jewish refugees heading for Israel following WWII.  Then we quickly hop on the bus and drive to a huge park just outside Tel Aviv.  The park is special because it contains every plant mentioned in the Bible.  We take a walking tour and see how olives are pressed into oil, reeds are used for writing and water is used for irrigation in the desert.  Afterward it's a buffet lunch at the park and then our last Nok Out bars of the trip at the gift shop.

We return to the hotel in the mid-afternoon with time to reclaim our bags and get ready for the airport.  We go as a group to a farewell dinner just outside the Old City.  The dinner feels rushed though as some of us (myself included) are on the earliest flight out tonight and we're worried about traffic and security delays.  We get to the airport shortly before 9pm and an hour and 40 minutes later (there are A LOT of security checkpoints at Ben Gurion airport) we arrive at our gate--just as the plane is boarding.

Some 18 hours later I am back home in Austin processing it all.  It's been a wonderful, once-in-a-lifetime experience, though a whirlwind one at that.  Israel is a beautiful country and I loved visiting it.  But right now, I am happy to be home.

221 km (137 miles) traveled