Great Barrier Reef

Cairns Travel Blog

I would have to say that Cairns is an amazing place.  I met so many great people while I was there and also got to see so much.  My first night there my hostel had a BBQ so I got to meet everyone that was staying there.  I even was entertained by a man with a hook.  It would have been normal if he wasn't extremely drunk to the point of him bashing his hook on things.  He was trying to demonstrate how strong the metal arm and hook were.  Needless to say, he was cut off shortly thereafter.  The next day I took a trip up to Cape Tribulation, which consisted of several stops along the way.  We stopped at a Wildlife Reserve and I got to see up close all the different types of wildlife that are in the Daintree Forest and area.  I even got to pet kangaroos!  We took a cruise along the Daintree Forest to find wildlife in it's natural habitat and were able to find a crocodile, python and tree frogs.  We then made it up to Mossman Gorge to take a dip in the crystal clear waters alongside the rain forest.  We eventually made it up to the Cape to see the only place 2 ecosystems meet, the ocean and the rain forest.  It was quite a sight.  The following day I headed out on a boat to the Great Barrier Reef for a 2 day/1 night excursion.  It was cloudy the first day, but cleared up for the second.  I was planning on scuba diving, but due to my asthma I was only able to snorkel.  I was bummed at first, but I still got to see lots of great things.  I was a grey reef shark, stingray, barracudas, starfish and tons of fish.  It amazed me how close to the surface the reef was and how pretty it was.  I would stick my face under water and I felt like I was watching a movie or I just stuck my head in a fish tank.  It was unbelievable!  There were some awesome people on the boat too that made the trip even more worthwhile.  I finished off my last night there sitting around the hostel playing drinking games.  We had about 20 people around sharing stories and laughing.  It was a great place!
vances says:
Alas, I can't scuba either (diabetic)....but no worries! Snorkeling is tremendous --- glad you got to experience this...you can enjoy snorkeling pretty much around the globe, and it is always different and incredible.
Posted on: Feb 02, 2007