Glaciers

Greymouth Travel Blog

We spent a night in Fox Glacier and did a walk out to the terminal face.  It was one large piece of ice.  You could see it melting and could also tell by the river gushing from it.  I decided to taste it just to see if I noticed any difference.  Tasted like normal to me.  I actually went for a run in a rain forest that night.  That was pretty neat.  I was semi waiting for something to jump out of the woodworks and attack me, but nothing of the sort happened.  We went up to Franz Josef the following day.  I walked to the lookout point, but since I saw Fox the day before I figured that was enough.  It's been pretty bad weather here due to our being in a rain forest.  So Sara and I decided that we needed to do something that didn't involve good weather.  We went for a blackwater cave rafting trip.  We hiked for over an hour into a cave and then tubed for about 15 minutes.  Once we got as far in as we could we stopped to have hot coco in the dark under the light of the glow worms.  It was definitely an experience.  We then climbed our way out, but not without going through a tunnel that you could barely fit through.  It was a good way to spend a rainy day.
Greymouth