Leaving Maryland

Silver Spring Travel Blog

Me amidst mountains of moving boxes
Although my husband and I had planned to leave Silver Spring by 1 PM, cleaning the apartment took much much much longer than we anticipated. Funny how we can underestimate just how much longer it will take to do something as banal as cleaning. So we didn't get on the road until about 5:30 and of course were stuck in rush hour on I-66 West through Virginia.

The drive was pretty unadventurous until we drove into a lightning storm on I-81 south of Harrisonburg. The lightning was absolutely stunning, sparking horizontally from cloud to cloud. We had seen a spectacular sunset and the lightning echoed the sunset colors of red and orange. That was a lovely sight until we ran full into a thunderstorm with alarming amounts of rain smacking down. The last 1.
My kitty Ema gets ready to move.
5 hours of the trip were stressful with tractor trailers boldly swooshing by. We were very relieved to finally make it to Roanoke.

We stayed with my cousin and her son in Roanoke. She has a lovely ranch-style home that sits atop a hill. She's a lovely hostess and sat up with us while her son made midnight burgers and caught up on all the news.

Our cat Ema has been our traveling companion. We had anticipated that she would be anxious in the car and at each place we stay, since every time I've moved before or even when I take her to the vet she meows constantly and appears stressed. So I researched natural remedies to help alleviate her anxiety, and found several products. The one that seems to work best is called Phero-Soothe, and if I could write their marketing material, I would! I sprayed down the car with this simulated feline phermone remedy, which doesn't smell at all, and she seemed relaxed and pretty content during the entire car ride. I even let her out of the carrier to give her some stretch room, and though she ended up preferring the carrier than the rest of the car, she seemed relaxed. I also sprayed the guestroom that we stayed in, and again she seemed relatively relaxed all night. She, of course, had to check out the entire room, but eventually she had enough and just chilled. No anxiety, no meowing, just calm kitty. Definitely recommend this product! It's made the trip all the more enjoyable so far.
Stigen says:
Congrats on feature !
monky says:
Congratulations!
montecarlostar says:
Congrats on your feature!
My kitty Ema gets ready to move.
Emas pretty comfy in her favorite…
Ema's pretty comfy in her favorit…
Silver Spring