The Monkeys of Lop Buri

Lop Buri Travel Blog

prang sam yot
The naughtiest monkeys I've ever encountered! And definitely one of most memorable experiences I have had in my life!

My mom and a friend's first day trip out of Bangkok was Lop Buri. We took a bus from Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal (Mo chit 2 Bus Terminal) for the one hour (or two) ride to Lop Buri. We decided to go there because we really didn't have a lot of time to travel to Angkor. And Lop Buri is a good alternative to have a glimpse of Khmer Architecture. We really didn't get to see most of the town (there's really nothing much to see) but i remember having the best noodle soup there.

In the middle of town, just outside the bus station is Prang Sam Yot, Lop Buri's well-known landmark.
going for the kill
It is built with 3 adjoining Prangs (Khmer-style Pagodas) that signify the hindi trinity of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva. But really it's main attraction are the hundreds of macaques that live (more like, infestation) in and around the wat. Lop Buri means "monkey" by the way, so don't say "I didn't warn you!". These monkeys are so used to being fed- there's a monkey festival every november were the locals give them fruits to feast on, that they extend this festival whenever bus-loads of tourists are around. They steal food and whatever is hanging on your bag or your body, just ask my mom - we had to run after the little man who stole her eyeglasses. Lucky for us there was a local who helped us take it back... too late though... the monkey chewed on it and broke it in two haha!

Getting There:
Buses leave Bangkok's Northern Bus Terminal (Mo Chit 2 Bus Terminal) every 20 minutes from 5.30 a.m. until 8.30 p.m.
mom makes new friends
mom makes new friends
notorious monkey
notorious monkey
attack of the killer monkeys
attack of the killer monkeys
this buddha was added when prang s…
this buddha was added when prang …
man of the wat