Koh Phi Phi Travel Blog

arriving in Phi Phi

Aside from Songkran, Koh Phi Phi is another highlight of this year's pilgrimage to Thailand. I've always wanted to go here. I mean, everytime i go to Thailand, I don't ever get the chance to go to the beach. This time around I made sure I have time for it. From Krabi, we boarded the ferry to Koh Phi Phi at around 9 AM. The boat ride took about 1 1/2 hour, half of which was spent on the sundeck. On the way to the island, I felt that I never had summer this good!

Arriving in Phi Phi, I just couldn't wait to get sand on my feet. So after checking in at Phitarom PP we went to the beach at Lo Dalum Bay to get a feel of the place. Around 2PM we joined the sunset tour to Koh Phi Phi Leh which was quite an experience.
Loh Dalum Bay
So the tour included the monkey island, the viking cave, snorkeling, and maya bay. One thing that was really memorable for me here is that i actually got to swim in the sea. I'll let you in on a secret. 10 years ago i almost drowned in the middle of a pool when i had cramps, and eversince then i developed a fear of my feet not touching the floor. Yes, I can swim... but i haven't been that confident since then. Even in recent years when there's snorkeling involved, i'd put on a life jacket and never even let go of any part of the boat.

But in Phi Phi, i had to let go of those fears for once. Joseph, who is a very good swimmer, is having second thoughts about swimming since at first I didn't want to. But i felt like i didn't want to be such a party pooper and disappoint him.
Snorkel!
Besides i brought my own snorkel, it would be such a waste not to use it. So, i put on a life jacket and let go of the boat. Mission accomplished, and it felt so good. I think i've made it pass my fears albeit with the help of a floatation device - my road back to recovery, yes!

Anyway, there was this girl from I dunno where and she really knows how to put on quite a show. At first, during snorkeling time, she had this floating bed, threw it in the water and jumped after it. What happens next i'll leave it to your imagination. After an hour or so, as we headed off to maya bay, someone noticed that the same girl was still in the water having the time of her life. We were like a quarter of a kilometer when we heard someone say "Stop the boat, We left someone behind.
Maya Bay. Koh Phi Phi Leh
" So, a boat went back for her and after that she just sat in one corner probably thinking what would happen to her had no one noticed she wasn't onboard. hehehe!

Approaching Maya Bay was perhaps the cheesiest moment i've had in the longest time. So the guide introduced the place along the lines of "We are not approaching Maya Bay... where Leonardo DiCaprio's movie "The Beach" was filmed", and after saying that he cued him iPod to "Porcelain" by Moby and then "Pure shores" by All Saints. Is it really like that there? I mean it's really good music, but too cheesy to actually hear it when you are there. But then again, that's the selling point of Koh Phi Phi - "The Beach." So I can't blame them. I have to admit though, at the end of the day, the music did help make it memorable.
;)

The waved were really choppy that afternoon, I was worried about swimming from the boat to "The Beach" but I had to. I don't do it today then when will i get the chance to do it again, right? Besides it was all worth it when we got to Maya Bay. Man, that beach is beautiful! We spent like an hour there just exploring and swimming. After that we headed back to the boat, and this time around the waves were really big so we just opted to kayak our way back to the boat. There were a couple of people who got cuts from the big waves crashing them into the rocks. But fortunately nothing really that serious. We got to see the spectacular sunset while having early dinner while we headed back to Koh Phi Phi Don.

In the evening, after such a tiring day, Joseph and I just spent the night in the room with all the junk we got from 711.
approaching PP