Donderdag Meppeldag 17 July 2008

Meppel Travel Blog

Woldstraat markets

Today Donderdag Meppeldag was all about cacophony. In other words: noise. This meant there were a lot of percussion bands, but there was more than that. I went into town and the first band I saw was FunFare. Three guys dressed in funny clothes with fake moustaches, drums and a big horn. They were quite funny, walked the length of the main shopping street while playing, and making fun of poeple. There was a guy filming them and they just started walking circles around him while playing and the guy got quite dizzy! The next band I saw was Eternity Percussion, a band with drums and a guy with a whistle leading them on. I really enjoyed that too. Then I saw Ben Jur, a one man band. I then went home for some lunch and went back into town after that.

FunFare
I then saw Cool 24, a big band with some really good music. The male singer was very good, he obviously loved his job! He really got the crowd going. After that I went to see Brasil Axe, a band that did capoeira as well, a Brazilian fighting sport. I really enjoyed it, it took me back to my holiday in Brazil, which is almost 10 years ago already... More Cool 24 after that, and then on to Circle Percussion, a Dutch percussion band. Then back to another show by Brasil Axe!

I then went home to have some dinner and relax a little bit, until my sister came to pick me up. A friend of her's also joined us in town, and we went to see X-clusive,  and after that Novomundo. Both bands played top 100 music from the last few decades. The first included Dutch music as well. Barbara's friend went home around 11, Barbara followed about half an hour later and I stayed until midnight. No much fun on your own though... So here I am writing this blog and I'm off to bed now!

Andy99 says:
Sounds like a fun festival. Is it in celebration of an event? Interesting to see it ocurring on a weekday!
Posted on: Jul 18, 2008