Euro Cup Soccer

Berlin Travel Blog

Cafe and TV
One of my favorite memories of living in Berlin will forever be the chaos that erupted after the German team beat Turkey to earn a place in the final match of the Euro Cup versus Spain.

Let me first start by explaining that for the three or four weeks of the World Cup, soccer runs the lives of all.  I had kids show up to school exhausted because they had been up the past five nights watching both the 6pm and 8pm games.  It came to run my life as well.

On the evening of German games people line the sidewalks sitting at their favorite cafes to watch the game amongst friends.  Everyone with painted faces and flags huddle around the big screen TV’s and watch in baited breath.  The excitement is electric and cheering never stops.

At the conclusion of the German/Turkey game everyone went nuts (in a non-violent happy sort of way).  The street traffic came to a dead stop.  People were lighting fireworks, waving flags, honking their car horns and just plain old screaming.  The celebration went on into the wee hours of the morning.

The police pulled up with their riot ger on which freaked me out but they just joined in the celebration.  They were even posing for pictures.

It was cool!