Day 6 - Manitou Springs & Pikes Peak

Manitou Springs Travel Blog

Today is Sunny

Sara stayed at a vet/boarder in Manitou Springs.  She was inside but they took her for walks, provided water and food (which didn’t eat), and she got to play with other dogs.

We rode on the Pike’s Peak Cog Railway[1], which took us to the 14,110-foot summit of Pikes Peak.  We owe the inspiration for the lyrics of the beloved song, "America the Beautifulto the stunning vistas from the summit of Pikes Peak.   We saw birds, bighorn sheep, and marmots.  We ate a breakfast of homemade donuts and hot chocolate on the mountain.

When our train had arrived back down the mountain, Gary and I went to Miramount Castle.[2]  It was constructed in 1895 as a private home for Father Jean Baptist Francolon, a French born Catholic priest. The castle features nine styles of architecture ranging from English Tudor to Byzantine and all crafted from locally quarried greenstone and yellow pine framing.

We had lunch was at Uncle Sam’s Pancake House.  I had eggs, bacon, French toast, and milk.  Gary had the same, only chose pancakes over toast.

We picked up Sara and went to Seven Falls[3]- where Sara pulled Gary up a steep 112 steps to a halfway platform.  Gary continued on, while I waited there with Sara.  We also walked through a tunnel to a mountain elevator that carried us 14 stories up through solid granite to see the Falls much better.  Sara’s looks were very interesting. J

We stopped at their visitor center, where there was a hummingbird garden.  It was amazing to see all of those hummingbirds (over a dozen) flying around through the trees and eating from birdfeeders -- one even passed right by us.  {There was also some other species of birds there.}

Between our motel and Seven Falls there was an open range dog park.  We stopped, of course, so Sara could take a mountain meadow walk - it was BEAUTIFUL.  There was a stream in a section of woods that Sara waded in and drank from.  She LOVED it!!! J

When we got back to the motel, Sara decided she needed more exercise.  She ran across a very busy street, and went swimming in a pond at the city park.  Gary chased her down, caught a very tired Sara, put her (tied) in the back of the truck, and brought her back for a bath.

We celebrated our Anniversary early by going to the Historic Stagecoach Inn[4] for supper.  (Gold miners used to stay there when in Manitou.)  It’s just a restaurant now -- but what a restaurant.

We started our meal by sharing a Hot Crab & Artichoke Cheese Dip with crostinis and fresh vegetables and 2 Coronas.  I had a dinner salad with Mustard Vinaigrette, Slow Roast Buffalo served with boysenberry gravy on a bed of caramelized onions & peppers, garlic parmesan bread, and potato croquettes with Black Opal wine to drink.  I finished my meal with a chocolate martini (with a chocolate kiss) and we shared Chocolate Raspberry Diablo.  The meal was scrumptious.  Gary’s meal was the same as mine, but he chose Tournedos (Twin medallions of grilled choice tenderloin) on garlic crostinis, one topped with a bordelaise sauce, the other topped with crabmeat, asparagus, and béarnaise for his entrée.  He chose hot chocolate with Grand Marnier for his dessert drink.

Medical Report: I woke up to fever blisters on my bottom lip.  L