Day 3 - Exploring Canon City

Canon City Travel Blog

Today is Sunny.

We packed up and checked out of the motel.

Then, we ate breakfast at Evergreen Café.  I had eggs, home fries, an English muffin with Strawberry Jam, and milk.  Gary had the same but toast instead of an English muffin and bacon.

We drove to Canon City and checked into the Comfort Inn -- because they allowed dogs.  ‘Canon City’s landscape varies from the semi-arid plains to the east to the majestic peaks and mountain meadows of the Rocky Mountains to the north, south and west.’[1]

We took Sara to the Museum of Colorado Prisons[2] and tied her to the back of our truck with a carpet scrap and some water (placed in the shade).  It was a series of exhibits ‘in a historical cell house that was the original Women's Correctional Facility constructed in 1935.’

We had lunch at the Sonic.  Twenty minutes later, Gary and I took a helicopter tour[3] of the Royal Gorge that just about my stomach drop and I wasn’t even in the front seat (Gary was).

Then Gary, Sara, and I went to the Royal Gorge Bridge and Park.[4] ‘Touted as an engineering marvel, the Royal Gorge Bridge stretches a quarter mile across the scenic granite Royal Gorge, suspended 1,053 feet above the Arkansas River.’

Sara was allowed on and enjoyed a trolley car.  J  When were done, we drove across the bridge (that we had walked across) and after taking one last look for the day, drove the scenic way out of the park.

After dropping Sara off at the motel, Gary and I went out to a fancy supper at Merlino’s Belvedere[5].  I told Gary to order for me, as there were too many wonderful choices on the menu.  I ate Manicotti with cheese, bread with butter and crumbled blue cheese, and salad.  I drank water and Chablis from Chile with my meal, and finished it off with a Tiramisu that I shared with Gary.  He ordered trout with garlic butter, a baked potato, bread with butter and blue cheese and salad.  He drank the same as me.

We drove back to the motel, and took Sara for a river walk in the city park.

[1] Canon City Chamber of Commerce