Paget Beach

Zanzibar Travel Blog

Vanessa and I at Paradise Beach
Man, I thought Hawaii was nice, but Zanzibar tops the charts in terms of fulfilling the idea of Paradise. The beaches were full of soft white sand, the water was turquoise, and the reefs were visible both from the plane and from shore.

Walking along the beach was surreal. It was cloudy enough that the sun didn't burn and the reflected light made everything crystal clear. I stopped at this shack of a restaurant near the beach because I was starving. The staff there was nice enough to offer us a menu even though they were closed (we arrived right between lunch and dinner) and we ordered calamari, fresh fruit and some sort of fish.

Marco, Vanessa and I were chilling in this beautiful bungalow on the sand without a care in the world except how best to peel our little bananas when all of a sudden we see one of the associates drag an octopus out of the ocean and SLAM it on the ground to kill it.
Walking on the Beach after lunch.
I was so shocked, but just laughed. Now that is fresh freaking food! My god. I am still astonished as to how fresh, wild and beautiful this country is and how they have so little in terms of money but so much in terms of resources and basic skills. I was humbled every single day that I was there.

I should really mention a thing or two about Marco and Vanessa. They are the absolute cutest, sweetest couple I've ever met! My face breaks into this huge smile when I think about them, as they really helped me keep my sanity. They were never anything less than warm, kind, hospitable and funny. I could always go to them when my happiness barometer fell low and I would feel completely replenished. Thank you Marco and Vanessa for helping me feel like your family =)

I saw a hammock at Paget beach and made a beeline for it. I love hammocks! The staff working there was so nice and they came over and rocked me, but I felt embarrassed that they would spend their time pushing me on a hammock so I thanked them but insisted I was fine. Everything there is made with wood, twine, natural elements that are so raw and sturdy that I couldn't help but marvel.

Marco and Vanessa!
Marco and Vanessa!
Chillin on a hammock. Ahhh..
Chillin' on a hammock. Ahhh..
View from my hammock!
View from my hammock!
Japanese tourists gathering Uni at…
Japanese tourists gathering Uni a…
Vanessa and I on Paget Beach
Vanessa and I on Paget Beach
Vanessa, Wafaa and I by the water!
Vanessa, Wafaa and I by the water!
Zanzibar