Boule, a boy, a bogged van and a baby

Nantes Travel Blog

weatherproofing outdoor sports?

More driving through the countryside and the weather is not great.  I see plenty of cowslips on the roadside verges and the land is quite flat and ordered.  While Andrew is driving he slows for a roundabout in a town and I know that he hasn't checked to his left properly as he is concentrating hard on remebering to stay on the right hand side of the road and doing the roundabouts anti-clockwise.  As he takes off to enter the roundabout I see a car on his left already on it so I call out to him to avoid us getting hit.  He stops.  The car behind runs into the back of us.  We all get out and I try the rear door to see if it opens and closes.  It does.  Meanwhile the poor young man in the car behind is mortified and is apologising frantically.

in Baueaux
  I tell him that he has done no damage to us.  He is still offering to pay for damage.  I tell him that there are only two tiny marks amongst the old more significant dents and scratches and that we are unconcerned.  Andrew asks him for directions to our next town and he happily tells us the way!

About 40 kms outside of Nantes we find a caravan park.  It is cold and grey and this place appears to have permanent residents.  However, we are unable to raise the owners and by some very painful exchange of gestures a local tells us that they are not around until the morning.  He organises the barrier to lift for us and indicates we can pay in the morning.

Mt Saint Michel
  While looking for a site in the sodden grounds we see a young couple with a baby trying to extricate their bogged VW Camper.  Eventually two French men get an old Renault and with us pushing, digging, putting down lumps of wood I volunteer to drive as my back has been bad, we get it out.  Find a solid based camp spot and park and cook dinner.

A young boy comes out of a nearby static van and plays solitare boule.  Next he comes over and insists that I play, once he gets over his exhasperation that I can't speak French.  He beats me everytime so I palm him off on Andrew, who likes a sporting challenge.  He beats Andrew too but the contest is much closer.  Later his guardian (he tells me that he is not his father) asks us if we would like pizza.  I thank him but we are full.  Thirty minutes later the boy brings over two slices of pizza and we have to eat it.  It is delicious and they invite us in for coffee.  In the boy's bedroom there are two caged animals which I think are a type of lapain.

Mt Saint Michel
The unbogged van and my boule chal…
The unbogged van and my boule cha…
local eatery in Bayeaux