A costly beginning

Calais Travel Blog

the countryside

Looks like this part of our trip was disaster in many ways.................  Even my blog of it dissappeared so I will have to start it again.!!

Left London bound for Dover and the ferry with many of my family text messaging us to wish us well.  The coutryside was looking good with Spring happening.  It was an uneventful crossing to Calais on the Pride of Burgundy and as I started up the Nissan to drive off we noticed a new noise and eventually put it down to a small hole in the exhaust as we knew that it was badly corroded.  Moved onto a motorway and I was constantly focussed on the fact that I was driving on the right hand side of the road.

our first French campsite
  It was a short trip before we had to leave the motorway and our first challenge was to exit through an unmanned toll gate.  Here, none of the notes we had seemed to work in the system and finally Andrew spotted a slot that looked like it needed a credit card.  Out came his card and the machine registered it and returned it probably taking out many euros and we were on our way.

With the help of our Europe camping guide book Andrew navigated us to one he had selected.  It was now Friday and the book said that it would be open  the first week in April.  At the gate the owners told us that they opened on Saturday but were OK with us staying for the night.  Their large black, hairy, dog brightened up and they explained that he enjoyed the holidaymakers and knew that the season was about to begin.   In true "Allo Allo" accents the guy gave us the run down on how to lock the door at the shower etc. It was misting with a fine rain and we set up the tent to offload some of our gear to enable us to sleep in the van.  I heated up oxtail soup and rice and we ate it up and soon it warmed us up.

sunsetrosebud says:
sorry things did not go as you hoped.
Posted on: Jan 02, 2007