A very "spooky" first night in the car

Viana do Castelo Travel Blog

ROAD TRIP!!

So we hit the road at 5:30pm. Pablo took us all the way into Ferrol and through the round-a-bout and pointed us in the right direction! Whoo hoo we were finally starting the road trip portion of our trip!! We had to stop a couple times on the way cause I was feeling a bit under the weather but for the most part the drive was great! Was nice and sunny and the land in Spain is just gorgeous!

Our goal for the night tonight was to make it to Viana do Costelo and once we got there to find somewhere to sleep for the night. Crossing the border into Portugal was a moment I will never forget. We were all just so excited for our trip and as we drove past the sign we all cheered and it was just so great!

We arrived in Viana do Costelo in good timing and right away we headed towards Santa Luzia church way on the top of the hill.

Love it!
We stopped along the way at a look out point to get a gorgeous view of the city. Once at the top of the hill we parked the car and headed to the church. There was nobody there! It was great! This is what I wish all tourist attractions could be like lol. Normally it would just be crawling with people but it was so quiet and empty and peaceful. Of course we couldn't go into the church but we didn't mind, the grounds around the church were good enough for us and we had such amazing views. Standing in front of the church you could see all the city and then as you turned to go around you would see the water and as you went right to the side of the church you could see all the farms going right up to the water and then the gorgeous sunset between two trees.
Gorgeous view!
So we decided to hang around for a bit to watch the sunset cause it was just too gorgeous to give up!

It was getting pretty cold way up on that hill and by the time the sun had set we were eager to get back to the car and to find some food! Lauro was just craving McDonald's so we decided to go there. I guess not the most traditional Portugese good but I was so hungry I didn't care either lol. Earlier when we were making our way to the church we saw what might be a city centre so we headed there and it turns out it was a shopping mall. The crazy thing was that it was still open and it was like 10pm!

So we headed towards the food court and were just gonna get whatever we wanted but then we all decided to go to Pizza Hut together so we have dinner together.

Santa Luzia church
So Alex's birthday dinner was some nice pizza at Pizza hut hehe.

Once we were done dinner we went back to the car to go to bed. Origionally we were planning on just sleeping where we parked but there were all these street lights and it was too bright for Lauro so we decided to go somewhere else. I had seen a sign earlier for camping so figured we should go back the way we came and look for the sign and then look for the place to sleep. But then we came along this parking lot along the water that seemed alright so we decided to spend the night there. But then we got a bit freaked out as there were people hanging around and it didn't seem that safe so we moved on.

As we were driving we saw the sign that I had seen before so we followed it to this park along the water.

You can't really tell but that's me infront of the church...gives you an idea of how MASSIVE it is!
It seemed alright and there were bathrooms there so we decided to stay there. We found a good place to park and then we got our sleeping bags out and sat on the pavement and had some drinks. We had a bottle of champagne from somewhere so we popped that and had it for Alex's birthday. I was kind of sketched out cause I saw these 2 cars come up and a group of guys get out and walk somewhere in the park. And then Lauro and Alex told us that this car had pulled up in front of us like 20 minutes ago and they were just sitting there watching us so we got really freaked out, threw everything in the car and sped off. Lucky too just as the cops went by and we were drinking all that booze on the pavement.

So then we decided to drive back up the hill towards the church as it would be nice and peaceful there.

Half way up the hill we found somewhere to park the car. On the left there was a gorgeous view of the city in the night and then on the right hand side on the other side of the road there was a shrine with all these lit red candles!! What the hell is that?!?! Why, on the side of the road was there all these lit candles?! Totally freaked me out and thought it was so spooky whereas everyone else thought it was hilarious that I was so spooked out lol. And my side of the car faced out to the candles so if I put my head against the window to sleep I would be looking right at them! And I was scared that something spooky would come over! So as Alex took out his towel to use it as a pillow I grabbed it from him and put it in the window so I couldn't see them anymore lol.
Looks comfy eh?
And just as we were settling down to go to sleep Ruby goes, "You know what my mum used to tell us when we were kids...that the devils children live in the trees." To which I responded, "FUCK Ruby! Why did you have to say that?! We already got red devil candles out there!!!" And we were quiet before that trying to sleep but after that we couldn't stop laughing. One of the funniest things ever and I will never forget it hehe. It was kind of hard to sleep as it was really uncomfortable but I was so freaked out and I didn't want to be the last person asleep so I did my best to fall asleep as soon as possible lol.

lauro says:
hahahahahahaha I REMEMBER

UNO DOS TRES PORTUGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cheers* hahahahahahaha
Posted on: Aug 21, 2008
lauro says:
hahahha hahahah hahahahah hahahahahahahaha

you forgot to mention - your "first toilet in the woods" hahahahah hahahahah hahaha

i couldt help laughing at this point - i remember what rubs said - i was fucking half asleep then when rubs said it i couldnt stop laughing! hahahah hahahah hahahaha

but you awoke in one piece! ^_^ LOL

PICTURES!!! hahahahaha

yeah - those sleazy characters were looking at us across the park ^_^ LOL hahaha
Posted on: Aug 21, 2008
Santa Luzia church
You cant really tell but thats m…
You can't really tell but that's …
Rubz
Rubz
Hannahs so cute!!
Hannah's so cute!!
Spain so so beautiful
Spain so so beautiful
The driver!
The driver!
Haha we thought those were tanks!!…
Haha we thought those were tanks!…
The view of Viana do Costello from…
The view of Viana do Costello fro…
Looking over the city