Night ferry to Korcula

Rijeka Travel Blog

The train ride to Rijeka was pretty uneventful. We got stopped for passport control twice and I fell asleep for part of it. We arrived into Rijeka around 5:30pm. I only saw the area of the train station and the port but the town looked pretty run down to me. It seemed that everything was falling apart and there was lots of graffitti everywhere. And as we were walking down the street right in the middle of the road there was a beat up car, on fire!! Everyone was stopped to watch but I was thinking, "Umm this car is on fire...shouldn't we run away in case it blows up?????" It was pretty random.

We got to the port where the ferry was just to find out that we had to turn around and walk half the way we came to go to the ticket office. The ticket was 210KN which is about 29 euro. We got on the ferry about 1.5 hours early but it's a good thing we did as it was already packed and places were going quickly! Now when I say places I mean a nice decent piece of floor to set up camp. There were no reclining chairs or anything and people were literatly just plonking down anywhere they could and setting up blankets etc. The guys and I managed to find a decent place with two tables where we could make some space for ourselves. They weren't too impressed with the idea of having to sleep on the ground but it didn't bother me at all. After the two night ferries in Greece last year I knew what to expect.

I wrote in my journal for a bit and played some cards with the guys. They refused to sleep on the ground so I'm assuming they were attempting an all nighter. I on the other hand was very tired and got out my sleep sheet to go to bed. I just stuffed my towel and my jacket etc into my pillow case and used that as a makeshift pillow. It wasn't too bad actually and I fell asleep around 1am.

Rijeka